project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How To Hire More Soldiers?  (Read 9778 times)

The Centurion

How To Hire More Soldiers?
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:15:17 pm »
Wow.  I've said for years how I've only wished I could play X-Com again.  This is awesome!!

I just started playing tonight, and have a total newb question.  How do you hire new/different soldiers?  Say I get my entire team killed (That's the only thing I'm good at so far).  How do I replenish my ranks?

This is a kickass freeware game!  I think you guys should go full-on with it, finish it up, and charge for it.  I'd definitely pay money for a completed rehash of X-Com!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How To Hire More Soldiers?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »
There should be a hire button in your base view.

Canuck77

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:47 pm »
Yep - and note that you get the ability to hire more people as months progress (if you are REALLY good at killing off your soldiers, I'd imagine it'd be possible to run out of them until the following month, when happy nations put more up for hire... though they might not be so happy in that case. :) )

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:49:06 pm »
I always run out of them ... when they die :D

Would be cool to hire mercenaries for single missions. Like 1 or 2 mercs to support a really small team or something (cuz there are no other available soldiers yet)

The Centurion

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:06 pm »
Ahh... makes sense.

I figured it was something obvious like that.  It would be easier if I wasn't so sexist/so much of a realist to not want to use female soldiers. :-*

Canuck77

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:19:52 pm »
No way, dude. The female marine in "Aliens" was not only attractive, but could handle herself just fine... :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:48 pm »
Given his reasons, that's hardly an argument.

The Centurion

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:34 pm »
Yeah, I've been using the female soldiers in a support role assigned to a secondary transport.  I pretend they're like NATO soldiers, and equip them all with combat armor and assault rifles.  It's pretty fun actually -- I send them in fast without worrying about ambushes, sort of like a SWAT team.

This game rocks.

odie

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 05:26:21 am »
I always run out of them ... when they die :D

Would be cool to hire mercenaries for single missions. Like 1 or 2 mercs to support a really small team or something (cuz there are no other available soldiers yet)

Wow!! How did u get all ur soldiers killed? O.O

FYI, i did not even have a single soldier killed in 200+ missions. Even at current game, after well over 50 missions (cos i restart and restart due to beta testing in dev mode), at most is my soldier being heavily injured, of which my medical staff will patch him up in no time! :P

Try exploring better strategies...... :P

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:05:46 am »
Soldiers are meant to survive most of the time - how else could you turn a rookie into a veteran? But on the other hand there should always be some risk of losing a squaddie if you're not careful or very unlucky. The AI should be iproved to provide this, though. I don't think it's a good idea to simply beef up the aliens.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 03:16:45 pm »
No way, dude. The female marine in "Aliens" was not only attractive, but could handle herself just fine... :)
...was actually not a real human female marine but an android, as far as i remember.

Seboss

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »
Vasquez an android? Or do you mean the chick played by Winona Ryder in Aliens Resurrection?

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:42:55 pm »
yeah, now that i try harder, there was more than one female there.
the one that looked like she was the main character through the series, carrying little girls this way and that, as far as i remember she was the same plot person and was an android.
ryder was one of the actresses.
at least that's how i remember it.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 12:04:43 am »
Sigourney Weaver ?
NO, she didn't play an android. But no marine either.

JohnnyDepressio

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 03:58:13 am »
I think they are talking about this lady