project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.3 Don't Flame  (Read 10234 times)

juice

2.3 Don't Flame
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:31:51 am »
Alright this is my first post, even though i read the forums from time to time.

I have been checking the update news on http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/ at the end of every month since basically August/Sept. With the desperate hope that the little link that says download latest stable release would have a new file :).  I can understand that programing and coding takes tonnnnnns of work.  Just wonder why it seems to have slown down?

*  2.2.1 - 2008-04-29
    * 2.2 - 2008-01-15
    * 2.1.1 - 2007-05-01
    * 2.1 - 2007-04-02

I would think the biggest stuff is over and now its more tweaking.  Given I know this is still in beta status, i would have just expected releases to become more frequent and not less.
Its almost been 1 year since latest release.

Basically i think BT Axis summed up my feelings in the first sentence.

It's just that 2.3 is long overdue. We've been trying to get into a release trajectory, but a few big issues must be resolved first, and there's no telling when that will happen.

And calling it 2.2.9 is wrong. That suggests it's compatible with the 2.2.x series in terms of multiplayer and savegames, and it isn't.

Thanks,
By the way the game looks way awesome.  Better than any of the other "sequels" of X-com i think.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2.3 Don't Flame
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:01:35 am »
It's really a combination of a lack of manpower and a mentality that isn't focused on releasing often. I (and many people with me) think 2.3 should have been out a long time ago, but as it stands it's probably going to be a long time before it's ready.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:37:50 am »
As a 2.3 player (i assume...) be more vocal in the forum and share any ideas you have. BTW I flame you &!^)*#, why don't you *&^(! your  ^%*(!%$

p.s. I would but I cannot compile 2.3 to save my &^()!)!)! &()! that include tortoise and other bloody programs...&!()!

p.p.s j/k of course!

Canuck77

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:29:05 pm »
My first post too - long time lurker and admirer. :) I think the team has done some really spectacular work, here, and I'm eternally grateful for all the efforts.

I'm going to download the next 2.3 Windows build once it's out (Destructavator is sorting out some glitches with compiling), very excited for it.

May I make a suggestion? Perhaps a sticky in this forum that lists the things in dev which are the gap between a "finishable" game and where it is now. It seems that most people here understand that the development builds (not releases) are going to be buggy, and there's no promises of anything working at any point in time.. but it's difficult to determine from the Wiki "Todos" and things exactly what items are currently missing from 2.3.

It'll save the crap from that other thread, too, with tones like "should I just keep going around shooting down aliens" - I'm sure it wasn't meant that harshly, but I'd be pretty annoyed with it if I was a dev.

I guess, to say it another way - I played the current 2.2 release up until I got the scrolling messages, and was kind of bummed out because it wasn't "expected" on my end - I don't mean that to be negative, as I'm sure I missed that documented somewhere, I'm just saying. If we had a sticky on the forum that says "here are the things which aren't yet included which will prevent the game being played to completion", then at least clueful people (ie. most who are downloading the dev builds) will know.

Just a suggestion, though. :)

Thanks again for the really great work, everyone. It has been impressive to say the least!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
At least 2.3 will have an ending.

IF I get that map done.

Canuck77

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:47:53 pm »
Oh - cool! So it's just one map away from an ending? I had no idea - I thought it was a lot further away than that!

Is there a link in the wiki or something where we can look at progress on that item?

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 05:49:12 pm »
Well, a map assembly, really. Some of it is done, most of it isn't.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:35:37 pm »
No not only one map. We still cannot go up on stairs AFAIK. (However I heard good news about that issue yesterday.) And much stabilizing so the game not crash (so often)...

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:21 pm »
We were talking about what was necessary for the game to get an ending, not what was necessary to get it to be stable and playable.

Canuck77

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:33 pm »
Yep - exactly. If there weren't any bugs/glitches, the topic would be about why the 2.3 release candidate isn't out. ;)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:00 pm »
Well, if I could get it wrong other ones can get it too. So it was better to clarify. ;)

-geever

Canuck77

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:50 pm »
Yep, no question there.

I suppose my original note stands, albeit in modified form - if it's of any value to anyone, I'd be happy to help with a "dumbed down" list of what is required to get to the release candidate - since there is only one 'item' required to make the game finishable, maybe a broader list makes sense.

It's a duplication, I'm sure, of information which is already in the dev wiki - but the dev wiki isn't really 100% clear to laypeople where the boundaries are in terms of what is "to be" in 2.3, and what needs doing. Is it a simple case of looking at everything that says "WIP"?

Maybe it's unwelcome scrutiny, and invites people hassling the devs because "nothing has happened on the Megatron Gun item for 3 weeks - wtf?!", so maybe a bad idea... just thought I'd offer. :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:40:55 pm »
Actually, I think it's best you didn't. We already have our list, and other people aren't going to benefit from one.

odie

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 06:42:41 am »
No not only one map. We still cannot go up on stairs AFAIK. (However I heard good news about that issue yesterday.) And much stabilizing so the game not crash (so often)...

-geever

Wow geever, is it true that the pathfinders got breakthru?!!
I have been personally looking forward to this very much as i know its a difficult task. Lol.

Cant wait.....

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 08:00:13 am »
Wow geever, is it true that the pathfinders got breakthru?!!
I have been personally looking forward to this very much as i know its a difficult task. Lol.

Cant wait.....

You can read the story here And even download a - not yet ready - patch.

-geever