project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The look of the future  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
The look of the future
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »
I have a few questions about the look of the setting. This range from whether or not there are flying cars, pervasive and dominant cultures (such as Japanese advertisements in America from Bladerunner), how closely packed buildings are to each other in large settlements, that sort of thing.

Is there a cyberpunk feel to the setting? Partly I'd think not just because while corporations play a role in the game (supplying weapons etc) they are not mentioned as being the dominant force in the setting (unless I missed something).

Are the terror attack maps (the city based ones anyhow) slated to be dark and grungy, or generic? I understand there would be exceptions (I am thinking about sketching out an arcology mission for example)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: The look of the future
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:58:55 pm »
Not intending to turn you off when I say this, but I've seen some of this discussed quite extensively in other threads already.

I think that having futuristic looks to everything would mean rebuilding tons of maps, models, etc.

Edit: I *will* say, however, that I do agree with your points - I just don't know how they could be fixed without tons of work...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:00:36 am by Destructavator »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:36:00 am »
Well, they can't. It involves tons of work.

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:08:57 am »
What I would be really interested is how it came to the unification of today's countries into the blocks that we see as sponsors in the game.

The weapons available to the player also do not strike me as to fit in the year 2087. Maybe the game should take place sometime earlier, 30-40 years earlier just after a great conflict that divided the world into the blocks we see.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:42:00 pm »
I remember in the introduction text how it described Earth settling down and being mostly at peace before the alien attack, wars calming down, etc.  (Not that that's likely to happen, but that's a different topic.)  Given this assumption and idea that everything is calm and peaceful before the Mumbai attack I'd imagine one could argue that because the Earth is all in harmony and everything that weapons technology isn't as important anymore, military forces are reduced or even virtually non-existent because they aren't needed anymore, and when the aliens arrive that the player's forces, a secret organization, are forced to un-bury and "dust off" old technology to start with (before research teams come up with the laser weapons, bolter rifle, etc.).

Along with that idea, perhaps the starting weapons could actually be much less than 80 years in the future, but still be the best available at the start of the game because, again, the technology was slowed down and put aside for years afterward, with world peace and everything.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:44:16 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:07:32 pm »
That would make sense actually. Have to start reading those damn intro txt before asking silly questions.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:14:40 pm »
I remember in the introduction text how it described Earth settling down and being mostly at peace before the alien attack, wars calming down, etc.  (Not that that's likely to happen, but that's a different topic.)  Given this assumption and idea that everything is calm and peaceful before the Mumbai attack I'd imagine one could argue that because the Earth is all in harmony and everything that weapons technology isn't as important anymore, military forces are reduced or even virtually non-existent because they aren't needed anymore, and when the aliens arrive that the player's forces, a secret organization, are forced to un-bury and "dust off" old technology to start with (before research teams come up with the laser weapons, bolter rifle, etc.).

Along with that idea, perhaps the starting weapons could actually be much less than 80 years in the future, but still be the best available at the start of the game because, again, the technology was slowed down and put aside for years afterward, with world peace and everything.

'Harmony' is not the right word for the political situation in UFO:AI's setting. Also, in my vision of it, violent disagreements are usually settled via electronic rather than physical fighting. Never mind the fact that the super-nations' internal matters would be big enough without having to worry about exterior wars.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:02:58 pm »
Wow. The point of this topic was me asking what the world looks like in the 2080s so I can sketch, not to criticize or complain.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:08:01 pm by Captain Bipto »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:09:28 pm »
I think you can largely come up with it yourself. If it looks suitably futuristic (but not silly), it'll probably just be okay.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:49 pm »
Thats what it sounds like.

Heh heh why don't you guys model the game after the Jetsons?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »
I think you know the answer to that.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 01:12:20 am »
Heh heh why don't you guys model the game after the Jetsons?

Ugh.  I sure hope not, at least not in the trunk as opposed to a Mod of some kind.  If any future official release were perverted to that type of thing, I just might up-chuck a live chicken in disgust...

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
Just as long as it's not infinitely tall towers of buildings everywhere with the poor people stuck on the ground floor.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:05 am »
the Jetson post was a gag...

Mega Skyscrapers are prolly out unless being used as a map portraying said scraper...

Raethen

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 10:55:32 pm »
Huh... that's not a bad idea for a map, the top 8 levels of a scyscraper, your team could start out around the elevator, and you would have to hunt all the way up to the roof to find the aliens. There'd be a central staircase going up several levels, then mebbe the top few levels would have an "under construction" kind of feel, steel beams and open walls, maybe a UFO landed on the roof, lots of potential there.