project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Animation for character models  (Read 21872 times)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Animation for character models
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:49:26 pm »
Looking over the males animation, it looks like there is a fire-from-shoulder animation. its frames 135 to 143

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16:54 am »
Ok. What about other models (aliens too ;) ) ?

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:21:36 pm »
While you're at it, consider making prone animations too (stationary, moving, shooting, etc). We don't have any support for this yet, so you might want to consult with mattn about which frames to use etc.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »
I actually managed to (kind of) import some of the soldier body models into blender and create (and attach) an armature/skeleton for making new animations a week or two ago, although I didn't upload or link to anything because I think I made some mistakes here and there, and mucked it up a bit.

Still, if you (or anyone else) want, I'm willing to dig through my files later today, upload it, and let people here play with the .blend files for anyone who wants to build more animations.  I was going to do more work on it and hopefully have additional animations to propose, but I just haven't had the time lately, as I've been involved in multiple little side projects and can only handle so much.

I've gotta warn you, however, that I'm not a veteran 3D modeler - The .blend files I put together might save you time, but then again they might not.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:50:52 pm »
I wont pester ya for em. Im not exactly veteran either, but I have some history with Blender and Maya (I, unfortunatly, only use Blender at home. Cant fork out $2k for a single license for Maya, which I have more experiance with)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:56:23 am »
(Sorry for the double post)
Female soldier: 135-143
Ortnok: 135-143
Taman: 135-143
I think I see a pattern here

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:47:16 pm »
(Again, sorry for the multiple post)
Actually Dest. I think I will. I looked into animation in Blender, and Im not sure how to get the armiture to constrain to body parts, since the whole body is highlighted when i select any part

CapnKill

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:05:18 pm »
So whats the process here.

Lets say someone like vedrit confirms that there are indeed animations for shoulder fire...  is that really the meat of it?  Is there additional code required to make it all work or is that not a big issue?

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:13:34 pm »
Oh, Im sure that there is coding required. Its not like the game knows where the end of the barrel is, but the fact that the animation is there really helps move things along. Atleast now a code can be made with the assurity that there is an animation to go with it

CapnKill

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:01 am »
Oh, Im sure that there is coding required. Its not like the game knows where the end of the barrel is, but the fact that the animation is there really helps move things along. Atleast now a code can be made with the assurity that there is an animation to go with it

Also one of the devs mentioned prone.... like if there was a prone animation they could throw that in as well..  It would be strange, since X-Com never had prone, but it could certainly be neat to have. 

So is it confirmed that all models have a shoulder fire animation or are there still some out there that do not?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 12:46:52 am »
@verdit: not arguing just ask: does sheevar has it either?

-geever

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:02:26 am »
Geever: Does what have what? Shoulder-fire? I think that all the models do. If u want, I can check em all

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 02:19:41 am »
I found the .blend files I was playing with... about several dozen of them, as I made various versions.  It'll take me a little longer to sort through them, pack all the external data in, and upload something, but I did find them.

Regarding the "Sheevar," that's one of the alien races in the game.

I also agree that a "prone" position would be nice, as well as perhaps a slow crawl to move while staying down.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 02:48:29 am »
Yes, the Shevaar has shoulder-fire animation.

Destructavator, how did you attach armitures to the models?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:26:02 pm »
Well, I don't claim to be an expert at blender so I could be a bit off when I say this, but from what I've found there are two main points to attaching armature to models in Blender: Before making an armature to attach I'd suggest creating and naming the vertex groups, dependent on what bones you plan to have where.  For example, in the blend files I put together, I'd select every vertex that makes up the upper arm, name it "U L Arm" for "upper left arm" or something, another I'd call "L L Arm" for "lower left arm" and so on.

Once these groups were created, then I'd make the armature inside the model, the key is to name each of the bones with the exact same name as the vertex groups after making all the parts of the armature.

Then, once the groups are done and the armature is done, the next step is very easy:  Just use the "make parent" with the two objects - the armature/bones and the actual model, so that when the bones are moved the model goes with it.  (Select both the model and the armature objects, so that they both end up selected at the same time, then use the "make parent.")  Don't use the automatic group-naming/creating options, just attach the armature.  Those automatic options mean the computer tries to guess which bones attach to which nearest vertex, which often results in mistakes and therefore mucked up animations.

If all the bones and vertex groups were done right, it is then very easy to go into the "pose" mode which will appear and then simply rotate the bones to animate the model very quickly.  The hard part is getting the groups and armature right, which is where I messed up a little.  Once all that work is done the actual animations are very easy.

If the animations don't work right, you don't have to start all over, you can always remove a vertex from a group and put it into another so it follows a different bone.

I apologize if you already knew some of this, I didn't know which parts you do and don't know.