project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Another geoscape issue  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Coconut Jonlan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Another geoscape issue
« on: February 17, 2009, 05:08:08 pm »

This one is almost certainly 100% my own fault  ::)

I was playing around with the options to try and make the game run a bit faster as the only pooter I have at home at the moment is a rather ancient (read slow)  laptop - unfortunately I seem to have managed to switch off the display of day and night in the geoscape - so the whole thing shows as daylight now - and I can't figure out how to change it back.

so 2 questions really - how do I get the day/night display back?

what are the best settings to increase game speed? - don't mind sacrificing game graphics and sound

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Another geoscape issue
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:13:29 pm »
I didn't even know it was possible to switch off the night texture. Try the other geoscape, or try removing your config files (you won't lose your saves).

Offline Coconut Jonlan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »

I didn't even know it was possible to switch off the night texture. Try the other geoscape, or try removing your config files (you won't lose your saves).

gimme enough time and I can break anything

just searched through the ufoai folder and I can't find either my save files to keep if I do a fresh install - or a config file - are they called something different?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:52:54 pm »
You want to read this.

Offline Coconut Jonlan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:31 am »
you can also just delete the night image of the geoscape world texture (pics/geoscape/*_night) - just might have to extract the pk3 files (zip files) for this.

odie

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:33:12 am »
This one is almost certainly 100% my own fault  ::)

I was playing around with the options to try and make the game run a bit faster as the only pooter I have at home at the moment is a rather ancient (read slow)  laptop - unfortunately I seem to have managed to switch off the display of day and night in the geoscape - so the whole thing shows as daylight now - and I can't figure out how to change it back.

so 2 questions really - how do I get the day/night display back?

what are the best settings to increase game speed? - don't mind sacrificing game graphics and sound

Hi, i just wanna help u address the speed issues, since i see that unaddressed.

To help with game speed, try these:

1) Unload those unnecessary stuff in memory -> Msn, browsers, quicktime, winamp, and other resident memory programs before starting game.

2) You may set the resolution of the graphics to lower within the options setting in the game menu at startup.

3) Perhaps if this is an old system that has not been maintained, u might want to consider:
a. Getting Crap cleaner and run a registry cleanup and files cleanup. Its freeware and good and easy to use for computer beginners.

b. Go get FreeRamXP Pro and install. This is a ram manager and works on all versions of Windows 32 bit systems. I tried on 64 bit vista only once and dun have much feedback from the guy i helped installed this.... so i assume its working well since.

c. Increase you systems virtual memory. I assume u r on windows for all these ok. Lol. A good enough writeup already is available here.

d. If u r a bit geeky, try WinSecret Pro
If u intend to use this, i can guide u. But first read this and it should already help: Simple Intro to WinSecret

Okie, 4 things to try first. Of course doing a defrag before installing your game helps, as will installing this on a clean partition (which i dedicated a single partition to my games) and so will a defrag at times. Lol.