project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Graphical problem  (Read 2561 times)

zoltic

Graphical problem
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:47:11 pm »
Hello,

During the various missions we have all found "strange invisible walls" even in the middle of nowhere. This post is not to had one more complain but to ask if there is a way to save the map, and only the map (even a portion of map) to help for debugging and try to understand this problem and solve it.
Eventually if it is possible to have all the data needed to recreate the map (I think of starting the game with "set developer 1" or other option) would it be possible to recreate the bug ? and to send all usable material to developers ?

Please don't answer that I must recompile my "pk3" or "maps" files to solve the bug, ALL was done last night after an "rm".

SVN 22305 updated at nearly 1 am GMT.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Graphical problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:54:11 pm »
This is not a graphical problem, it's a problem with pathfinding.

zoltic

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:15:10 pm »
What I see is that you can have something like :

+ Accessible tiles
- Non accessible tiles
O Position of the soldiers

+++++++++++++O++++++++++++++
++++++O+++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
-----------------++-----------------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++O++++++++++++++++++++

Even if you move your soldiers the "gate" to pass through the "wall" stay in same position. Even after ten turns and ten moves of the soldiers.
So "something somewhere" keep memory that this "wall" exists.
I'm not sure this is only a problem of path finding if it is recalculate each new turn for each soldier.

But what can we do to help developers to debug ?

zoltic

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »
To add one piece to this, I saw at least 4 times that there is an "invisible wall" at the left of the Firebird during Farm mission, as shown on the picture.
Remark the absence of : Walk xx (xx|xx yy TU)

same appearance than on wood pile.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:10:13 pm »
Hello. I understand we are switching the code from a manual path (mapper work) to an automatic path computation. Its a know bug, i dont think we can help the debugging. It just need time, someone is on the task.

zoltic

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:29:02 am »
I understand what you say. It is not a problem of time for me, even if it is very difficult to test in this conditions.

But.......
I think there is more in two or three or four .... brains than in one and it is easier to test all possibilities if there is not only one people "on the deck".

In the same way, could you explain to me what is the fundamental difference between "this" they can climb and a staircase they can't ? is it because the staircases are "in" house and this outdoors ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 01:02:22 pm »
In the same way, could you explain to me what is the fundamental difference between "this" they can climb and a staircase they can't ? is it because the staircases are "in" house and this outdoors ?

Staircases are just too steep for the current code.

-geever

zoltic

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:29:15 am »
Thank you Geever,

I thought about something like this when I saw the explanation of the pathfinding in the Wiki.......