project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: (News Link) U.S. Army trying to recruit via videogames at shopping malls...  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE50819H20090110?sp=true

Just thought this was pretty funny - both types, (HaHa and strange).  The United States Army is a bit reluctant to put back in place the draft (because of potential public outcry I'd imagine) yet they really need new recruits and are getting desperate.

Now they are going into shopping malls and other places where young people hang out, setting up game consoles, combat simulators, etc. based on real military combat vehicles.

Of course, the games aren't realistic at all, even one officer who fought in the war is speaking out against it, saying the army is distorting things and being deceptive to try to sucker kids into signing up.

On a side note, it would be funny if aliens really did attack Earth, and some military officer eyed UFO: AI and used it to...well...need I say more?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
That reminds me how I was thinking about making a parody of Uncle Sam with an Ortnok and the text "UFO:AI needs YOU" for the website.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
Aren't they already coming out with America's Army 3 soon.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Of course, the games aren't realistic at all, even one officer who fought in the war is speaking out against it, saying the army is distorting things and being deceptive to try to sucker kids into signing up.
actually, he was speaking out against war-based games in general. I agree, partially. War isnt preatty, and it isnt fun. I dont have to be in it to know that, but the focus of those games isnt to get people to understand war, but to entertain the public (Isnt that the thing with EVERYTHING in todays society? Entertainment is beggining to be more important that education (Real world, not schools))

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
actually, he was speaking out against war-based games in general. I agree, partially. War isnt preatty, and it isnt fun. I dont have to be in it to know that, but the focus of those games isnt to get people to understand war, but to entertain the public (Isnt that the thing with EVERYTHING in todays society? Entertainment is beggining to be more important that education (Real world, not schools))

In most cases and in general, I agree that war games are for fun/entertainment, but in this specific case it's clearly shown that the simulations in the malls are to attract more young guys to the miltary, because the United States is strained and starting to get desperate for more soliders but is reluctant to make it mandatory as they have done in the past (yes, the draft) because of the massive public outcry and backlash that would result.  Already they (the U.S. Army) have loosened requirements to qualify for going into the military, now allowing older people in their 30s to sign up (Although the age may have been raised again, I haven't checked for the latest information), allowing ex-convicts and ex-felons chances to potentially become a recruit, etc.

I don't know what nation you're from, but where I am in the U.S., and the fact that I read the news every morning, I've seen plenty of evidence that backs up what I'm saying in general.  I also know that Americans have a strong tendency to have this attitude where we typically like to do what we want to, not wanting others to make or force us to do other things (like having the military make it mandatory to serve), and we strongly resist being told what to do.  I recall hearing about another nation's history where the government moved an entire city by simply telling the citizens they had to re-locate.  The citizens then just did it, without question or backtalk.  That would never work in the United States, there would be too much outcry and resistance on a massive scale.  Heck, look at the stubborn idiots who refused to obey mandatory evacuation for hurricane Ike and died!  The government tried very hard to make the people get out, it didn't get everyone.  Oh, that, and we also like to drive big SUVs, own and live on huge properties, and tend to arrogantly think of our nation as the greatest and best in the world, smugly looking down on others, and many people here also believe their religion is the most common in the world (which isn't true).  Not that all of us are like that, but its a strong tendancy.

(Sorry for ranting, I'll stop with that here.)

Nicole17

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE50819H20090110?sp=true

Just thought this was pretty funny - both types, (HaHa and strange).  The United States Army is a bit reluctant to put back in place the draft (because of potential public outcry I'd imagine) yet they really need new recruits and are getting desperate.

Now they are going into shopping malls and other places where young people hang out, setting up game consoles, combat simulators, etc. based on real military combat vehicles.

On a side note, it would be funny if aliens really did attack Earth, and some military officer eyed UFO: AI and used it to...well...need I say more?
I agree with you. It was really  funny one. You don't need to say more. Hoping that this will not be the last post that I could be read written by you.