project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Icon for "free space"  (Read 6315 times)

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Icon for "free space"
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:30:26 am »
Hello, i work on the hire of employee GUI and we have introduce head icons we can see on http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Image:Basescape2.jpg. i want to add a cartouche like that too, but i would like to display the "free space" on the base, and i will be nice if we have an icon for it. I think about a bed, but any thing else are welcome.

Icon may have the size of:
* http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/base/pics/icons/pilot.tga?revision=20019
But the green color of the current GUI
* http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/base/pics/menu/icon_pack2.tga

Icon are welcome :-) Thanks a lot for your help.

Offline Josh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Icon for "free space"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
Quick fix for the soldier icon: Give him a chin strap.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:50:35 pm by Josh »

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:47:19 pm »
The faces on those pics are cut above the chin strap. But goggles would gdo to differ them from the workers more.

As far as I know doctors are removed eintirely, because they don't realy have a purpose. So unless we reintroduce field medics the are gone permanently.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 07:06:26 pm »
I understand the graphist who create this icons dont go back for a will. Any improvement or current icons, or new one are maybe welcome too :-)

That right, there are no more medic. But i dont check if scientists take the role of medics, or if there there are no medic role at all.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 07:54:36 pm »
Well the hospital was ment to work automatic (or has the personnel incorporated like eg the command centre).
But having to take a scientist(or more) off research to opperate the hospital is actually a great idea.

The same idea could also be used for the workers. If their area was extended to to observing the radar administering the hangars, controlling the displays in the command centre.

If your are short on staff (eg after an alien attack on the base) you'd have to decide where your priorities lie.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
Well the hospital was ment to work automatic (or has the personnel incorporated like eg the command centre).
But having to take a scientist(or more) off research to opperate the hospital is actually a great idea.

No, it's not. It unnecessarily complicates research and base management for no gain, a system of penalties to gameplay without rewards. In this case it would just slow research and production, arbitrarily lengthening gameplay and reducing fun for the next-new-thrill playertype, without bringing in anything that anyone would enjoy. Having to do extra work to keep basic buildings operating at 100% is not a reward; it's a headache.

Adding pointless penalties is one of the worst possible things you can do in game design. That's why we avoid it when we can and take great care when making our decisions.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »
I'd imagine that all the base facilities would have general support staff and people to operate them, although isn't that assumed that those personnel are already accounted for and paid by general monthly upkeep costs of individual base facilities?  I think Winter is right, and that implementing controls for managing those general personnel just isn't worth it - Yes, there are probably cooks who prepare meals, technicians for operating equipment, people who inspect and re-fuel aircraft, mechanics and techs to reload, install, and change aircraft weapons/equipment, computer techs to fix when the base's email-system in the computers aren't working, cleaning crews to vacuum and dust, etc., but the point I'm making is that those lesser people are unimportant, and not worth implementing hire/fire/control screens for because they add unnecessary complications into the game and again are probably already covered for with general operating costs of the base facilities.  Adding controls for them would slow down gameplay and just wouldn't be a good idea because of that.

The same goes for the hospital - real life hospitals have lots of general staff, not just doctors, but in this game I don't think it would be worth it to implement micromanaging them.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:55:33 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Josh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:01:26 am »
I'll give the icon a shot.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 03:51:10 pm »
Ok point taken.

But ufoai isn't realy something for the "next-new-thrill playertype" anyway (;

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 05:35:57 pm »
Ok point taken.

But ufoai isn't realy something for the "next-new-thrill playertype" anyway (;

That's my playertype, and I enjoy it just fine.

My favourite part of X-COM has always been researching new stuff and applying it into the ever-escalating tactical battles. That's how and why I play most games -- to see what's over that next hill. And the next. And the next.

Regards,
Winter

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 11:27:57 pm »
If it can help,

Here we see the current hire GUI.

We can see the 2 size of head icons:
* For the big one, maybe it can use more color if it need. Else it's maybe better to grey it, because a player may not think he can click on it.
* For little one, there are maybe no constraints, because there are text near.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
You suggested beds, so.....

And here's what I was suggesting for the soldier icon, but I really need the original to work from. Pictures often leave unsightly artifacts when you rip them out of Jpegs.

edit:
Did I make them too big? Sorry about that. I thought that if I gave the icons away in their native state, it would be easier for you to tweak them to your needs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:06:52 pm by Josh »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:19:50 pm »
Thanks a lot. Very nice beds. If you have an idea for a laboratory icon, and workshop icon, it can be very nice. If it need, we can use it to display laboratory/workshop occupation (but not sure we will use it).

Unfortunatly, we dont have the original work. Mattn upload
http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/images/menu/heads.xcf
(i also upload http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/images/menu/heads.psd)
but, it's maybe already a rip from http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Image:Basescape2.jpg

Big icons is maybe not a problem at all.