project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Secrets of the Commonwealth of Oceania  (Read 4308 times)

Rambo

Secrets of the Commonwealth of Oceania
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:19:12 am »
It's an introduction to my thread about local markets but it's applicable without introducing the new economy.

http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3016.0

Design: Research / Storyline

Research name: Secrets of the Commonwealth of Oceania. Part I.

Requirements for the research: A base in the Commonwealth of Oceania.

Pre-research:

There are local rumors about a black market somewhere around Canberra. According to the people's talk, there is some kind of a technology which may be very useful for fighting off the aliens. The technology, however, is banned by the government.
We have to gather more information on this matter, especially on the location of the black market. Therefore your squad is to infiltrate the neighbourhood.

Research results:

Your spies have informed you that there is a black market in the suburbs of Sydney. They have managed to get together with a few traders. They have investigated so far that the secret weapon which is being sold on the market may be useful for fighting against the alien race.
But controversial is the fact that these weapons have been used in 2083 against Northwestern rebels willing to secede the Philippines from the Commonwealth of Oceania and join the Republic of Asia.
It is most likely that if equipped with these weapons when doing a mission in the Philippines your soldiers may be attacked by the local society. Also, buying these weapons on the local market will make the Republic of Asia worry about the future of cooperation with your organisation.

Advantages:
Chemical granades and rockets becomes available for purchase. When shot, they look like smoke grenades but kill or stun aliens and humans in range.

Disadvantages:
When used on a terror mission, every civilian victim is counted as two.
The Republic of Asia may reduce funding when these weapons are bought and will reduce the funding if PHALANX equips their soldiers with chemical ammunition for the missions in the Philippines.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:36:27 am by Rambo »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets of the Commonwealth of Oceania
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:57 am »
Sorry, but we don't have the weapons you speak of and we won't be introducing them either. Human weaponry is QUITE represented enough.

Plus it makes no sense to research human nations in a game that's about fighting aliens.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:21:50 pm »
I like the principle idea about it because it would
- give more incentive to play with different nations
- support a notion of a blackmarket (giving some kind of advantage, be it price, availability or similar)

I do not think that the whole idea as such should be shut down because it emphasized on weapons primarily.

There could be many more ways to interface with a blackmarket or nations differently, bribes etc... especially
if the game evolves to give the players more choices overall. I think in X-Com Apocalypse (or Armageddon, i
forgot the name) one could raid different building parts belonging to different entities, or make different nations
angry while keeping most still happy.

Personally I picture a player type who tries to get the most out of everything, at the expense of making
nations very angry at him, but still being able to beat the aliens finally.
It would not be your typical "heroic flawless organization", but I think this should be at the discretion
of the player's choosing. Kind of like Batman "The Dark Knight" who seemed a little bit evil for his
greater good.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »
Sorry, but we don't have the weapons you speak of and we won't be introducing them either. Human weaponry is QUITE represented enough.

Plus it makes no sense to research human nations in a game that's about fighting aliens.

Well said.

Now, I vote to lock this thread...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:48:47 pm by Chriswriter90 »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:21:55 am »
I could see something like this appearing in a third-party mod or add-on, but I'd be surprised if it made it into an official release.