project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Searching C++ Programmers  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Searching C++ Programmers
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:35 am »
Hi,

we recently merged the mapeditor (GTKRadiant) into our svn tree. Now we are searching for help with the cleanup and extending of it. If you know C++ and wanna help, please let us know.

Several open tasks:
* include pathfinding highlighting into the mapeditor
* include ufo2map -check and -fix output parsing and presenting into the editor
* increase the useability of the surface inspector by not setting a flag when it's not explictly clicked (e.g. a brush might have mixed surfaceflags (or mixed levelflags) - selecting more than one brush and changing something would end in all selected brushes having the same flags - which is more than bad)
* fix bugs (like model rotations)
* merge some of the plugins back into the core (we only support ufo [q2] games and don't need this as a plugin)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:41:34 am by Mattn »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Searching C++ Programmers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:57 pm »
If you have general C++ questions, I might be able to help.

svf

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:21:10 am »
Hi,

UFO has been my favorite game in the 90's. Some days ago I discovered this project and fell in love with it again! I'd really like to spend some time on coding on it - especially in C++. Unfortunaltely I'm not very common to the structure of the project and its huge amount of source code yet. So if someone got an idea what I could be working on - I would be very pleased!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 03:26:48 am »
The only C++ part of the project is radiant (the map editor). The rest of the game is in C. So if you want to code C++ specifically, you should take a look at radiant (people would be really happy if you did, too).

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55:36 am »
Are you still looking?

I'm a C/C++ programmer, though I haven't coded in years, but I'm willing to try..

I was more interested in some todo post I saw about the visibility of enemies (and allies) though.. . Although it sounds a bit difficult.

From what I recall of posts I read about your Radiant library is UFORadiant is about 10-12 times slower than GKTRadiant, so I have no idea what you really want done... This is something I can probably handle since I am a bit above average for speeding up programs (not much above average mind you).

I use MSVC 6.0 however, so from other posts, I suspect I won't be able to compile something as big as the game, but maybe I can see the Radiant code.

In the stable version, I keep losing enemies on maps too, and despite days of searching, I couldn't find the discussions indicating what is happening except for a short comment about aliens falling through a floor. Oh, my own guys fall through the sloping floor and can't move anymore in the Rocky Mountain map.

I know absolutely nothing about Linux, how it works, or what it does, other than it's some free operating system.

I think the last point mentioned is how I'm supposed to say how much I love this great game, but I have barely played it actually, and while what I saw looked nice, it definitely needs a way to not see enemies all the way across the map so well. I'd be happy to try to fix this, but I really have no idea how - save a few posts on the todo for visibility that I saw, but lost again, something about 10 lines raytraced to arms, legs, chest, head, etc. I have no idea what raytracing is all about except for the google definition though. My expertise is windows applications programming, not games. It looked nice though, but I can't find it again, and it may be too difficult to start with.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:43:44 am »
If you're interested in coding on the game, you can get the Code::Blocks package. While C::B isn't MSVC, I suspect you should be able to code in it as coding skill should be fairly irrelevant to expertise with an IDE. There are tutorials about setting it up on the wiki, although at the moment I'm given to understand the package is in a state of flux (mattn?).

About the visibility article, I wrote it. It's nothing more than a concept so far, and perhaps it has to be adjusted for simplicity. The tracing, however, shouldn't be that much of a problem. We already have functions for tracing a line from one point to another and detecting if anything intersects the line.

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:35 pm »
Ok, it is installed and running. What did you want me to look at first?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:16:23 pm by criusmac »