project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: research: how it works ?  (Read 5325 times)

lordhurukan

research: how it works ?
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:00:17 am »
I tried many times to understand how research is working in this version of UFO (I tried many versions running under windows).

I got 5 bases with each at least 1 lab in it but this is very strange I can't affect scientists because of "no enough room -- build more labs" that's strange because when looking at the lab item it is indicated that there is 10 scientists available for this lab (0/10) but I can't affect any of them !!

It must not be cooperative research because the total of labs over my 5 bases exceed largely 10 ;) (if it was cooperation it must indicate 60 in total for scientists availability because I got at least 6 labs dispatched thru all 5 bases)... till now it wasn't so important but it become crucial to go deeper in research to mash aliens up ;)

Otherwise this version is very addictive and playing is a real entertainment...

Good job, courage for the next step ;)
Dimitri "Hurukan Stylah"

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: research: how it works ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:40:11 pm »
I believe this is a known bug - *hint - move this thread, maybe?*.

If you have ten eggheads working in a lab in one base, then you need another lab *on the same base* to do more research.  Make sense so far?  Now, the first ten lab spaces count as "occupied' on ALL bases.  It basically means, that rather than distribute your research, make one base (HQ will do fine) as a dedicated research facility - 3 labs is planty.  Personally, i try to move production to my base #2.

Hope this helps!

Offline break19

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:30:14 pm »
I believe this is a known bug - *hint - move this thread, maybe?*.

If you have ten eggheads working in a lab in one base, then you need another lab *on the same base* to do more research.  Make sense so far?  Now, the first ten lab spaces count as "occupied' on ALL bases.  It basically means, that rather than distribute your research, make one base (HQ will do fine) as a dedicated research facility - 3 labs is planty.  Personally, i try to move production to my base #2.

Hope this helps!

This is how I do MY research: Multiple Bases, multiple labs, once my 2nd+ base is operational, transfer some needed research materials to it and begin researching stuff there. I just choose, fairly randomly, which techs to research at which base, concurrently, etc. works great for me.

break19

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:04:41 pm »
break19,

what version of the game are you running?  I am running 2.2.1 and I consistently have the "lab is busy" problem, hence the single research facility

Offline break19

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:00:39 am »
OSX version 2.2.1

I only get that problem if I transfer scientists from one base to another. Upon transferring, it appears those scientists arent removed from the original base.

Work around, hire the scientists at the specific base they will be working at.
edit: for example, base 1 has 2 labs, I hire 20 scientists, base 2 has 2 labs, I select base 2, then hire 20 scientists. I never transfer personnel... only items.  Personnel transfers appear to be a bit buggy still.

break19
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:03:19 am by break19 »

Offline Mayhem

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:13:48 am »
I have found that if you start research in one base, but then cancel it, taking all the scientists away, you cannot then start researching that project at another base, you must always come back to the original.

(Maybe you accidentally clicked one scientist onto a given research project, and immediately removed him.  Or maybe you started some research but then captured some tech which you thought was more important)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:11:49 am »
break19,

you DA MAN!  yep, transfering science dudes is exactly what I did.  should have left them as they were, eh?  good to know, thanks!

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 02:28:41 pm »
Hi,

I have two bases each with its own lab and 10 scientists. When I start researching something in base 1 and assign 10 scientists to it, the other base shows the same project with the same progress on it, the same number of scientists allocated.If I change the project allocation the other base shows the change.

Instead of having a base-orientated research model, how about a global research model? If you have 40 scientists in 4 bases then it should be possible to assign all 40 scientists to the same project, provided at least one instance of the item being researched is in store at all four bases...