project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Right Place, Right Time...  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Right Place, Right Time...
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:45:29 pm »
I couldn't believe it - Today I was out doing regular daily errands, and ran into someone I know who was giving away an old computer - actually, he said he was ready to just throw it out, but when I said I collect such things he said I could have it!

I also happened to have an old IDE hard drive, internal cables, and after digging through my old sh*t in my apartment I found an old roller-ball PS2 mouse and keyboard.

Didn't come with an OS, but I'd imagine it should run Kubuntu without too many problems.  It actually has a 2.4 Ghz CPU, single core.

Here it is:

(You'll have to scroll to the right of the guitar, sorry, I should have re-sized the photos!)

Interestingly enough, It has a CD burner and USB ports so I can get stuff off of it, yet it is old enough to have a floppy drive!

After more digging, I'm also glad I kept these:

(No, they aren't for sale!)  ;D

With Kubuntu and DOSBox, I now have an opportunity for some nostalgia...

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Right Place, Right Time...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:02:44 am »
Heh, I'm glad for my white-label CD-ROM copy of X-COM. The prize piece in my collection, though, is my genuine box copy of Master of Magic on CD-ROM. I also have box copies of Fragile Allegiance, Shadowcaster and Ishar: Legend of the Fortress. Oh, my rare old gems . . .

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:47:43 am »
Master of Magic is a good one, I have that one and used to play it over and over again countless times...

I also have a collection CD of hundreds of Commodore 64 games that I bought back when the internet was very new, I haven't seen such a CD for sale anymore although I haven't really looked and many of the games can be downloaded for free one at a time.

What I really started with was the old Atari - Yar's Revenge was one of my old favorites, I also played Pole Position and many others with that old thing.

It's interesting to note how games have changed over time.  In the early games, gameplay was controlling low-res, blocky blobs, and much of the experience involved imagination.  ("Wow, this is a great game, I don't know if I'm controlling a spaceship or a dog, but this is fun!")

The modern ones tend to look more like watching TV, except you control the action, and less imagination is needed but the player is zinged by eye-candy.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:50:59 am »
Forgot to mention, this is something I threw together in spare time, although it isn't the "final version," if there ever will be that is:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/Test_Drive_2_-_The_Duel.avi

The soundtrack is my personal re-mix of the original game soundtrack.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:25:42 am »
MoM *is* a great game.  The replayability is in completely random map generation - always has been, since Civ.  All fixed-map games sooner or later boil down to rather rigid, map-specific strategies.

Now, if some group of folks did for MoM what ufo:ai is doing for XCOM...then my wife would really, really be annoyed :)