project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Energy and Powered Armor  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Energy and Powered Armor
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:01:22 pm »
Didnt mean to go off topic in the other thread..

however the gravity problem and the energy problem with the weapons i think can both be addressed with powered armor.. i expect by 2084 both it and "walkers" often referred to as mechs will be available for most military budgets including the phalanx budget..

we are defending the earth from impending alien doom

gu35s

Re: Energy and Powered Armor
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:51:08 am »
I would think that if the alien ships have force field doors,  (at least that's what I think it is) why not make those as clothings instead?
I mean come on. Heavy heavy heavy. It would make more sense if the agents are just wearing force field generator around the body and move around much easier without the heavy weights (except maybe the batteries) or maybe an armoured flying suits that comes with the bloody force field. or those tiny laser things that would shoot down fast moving projectiles. At the very least slow them down for less damage... (tho probably won't work on plasmas and light/wave base weapons =p)

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:29:55 am »
I believe the point is to have Earth's forces possess realistic equipment and not super-duper stuff. It's questionable at best the idea that we'd have man-portable force-field generation tech in less than 80 years. Anything is possible, but I like the idea of keeping it real, and not turning the game into a cartoon. The aliens' doors aren't force-fielded doors; they're just "open" due to the constraints of the game engine, which doesn't currently allow openable doors.

I strongly disagree with the idea of "mechs". Such an innovation would fundamentally change the force of the game. As it is, it's a very realistic human special forces vs. superior aliens contest. It's true that companies are working on powered suits, and maybe they'll perfect such tech in 80 years, but the current setup is far more compelling.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
Read this:
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=25636

The black suit should be ready by 2020 and it's a powered armor of a sorts...

gu35s

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
No no. not have to be super high tech that you were thinking. There is this new tech that is under development at this time. Or well it was back when I found the article somewhere that a jeep mounted laser or something else that would shootdown incoming projectiles which essentially makes it "pre" forcefield tech.
Imagine this: http://www.youtube.com/v/-yVdwvodPo8 miniaturized and worn on body.

I mean miniaturizing is already beginning and if we can have a nano fiber armor I would think we can have a nanosize one of those that works against bullets. Do note I mean bullets. Which was why  I said it may not work against plasmas or those particles gun thing.

Oh no mechs please.  I agree with that. I think if I play xcom games, fan made or otherwise, on mechas i may as well play mech commanders....
What I meant was nanofiber armor with flight capabilities with one of those "forcefield" thingies built in for better protection.

then again those are just stupid ideas that I came up on the spot.

Edit: Okay, imagine that armor above with that miniaturized "pre" forcefield tech I was talking about.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:28:44 pm by gu35s »

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 02:46:55 pm »
The black suit should be ready by 2020 and it's a powered armor of a sorts.

I wouldnt trust these announcements unless it is REAL _and_ proven.

Too many times company try to showcase, in order to generate subvention and further funding.

I rather agree with anyone that is sceptical, and it is better to look at what _is_ already possible,
rather than too closely look at what _will_ be possible.
That being said I think a little bit futuristic stuff is not bad - just don't overdo it. (That is of course
just my 2 cc)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 03:25:07 pm »
Nothing from that article struck me as too far out.

Thermal adaptive layers? AFAIK they exist.

S***load of electronics in the suit? Possible

Self-diagnostic, monitoring and drug-dispensing medical unit integrated into the suit? Possible.

Muscle mimicing fiber? O.k., that's new, but from what I gather, possible.

Liquid armor layer? Got to admit that this one is interesting, but it's workings sound entirely possible.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:24:57 am »
its not powered armor...

however.... i think by 2084 we should be able to get a little powered armor... at least armor that enhances onces capability on the battlefield.. (Smart soldier technology gps etc)

Randaethyr

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 06:35:48 am »
I wouldnt trust these announcements unless it is REAL _and_ proven.

Too many times company try to showcase, in order to generate subvention and further funding.

I rather agree with anyone that is sceptical, and it is better to look at what _is_ already possible,
rather than too closely look at what _will_ be possible.
That being said I think a little bit futuristic stuff is not bad - just don't overdo it. (That is of course
just my 2 cc)
If I recall correctly those to systems are being developed for us at the NATIC SC by Army personnel and civ contractors.

Offline Mayhem

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:08:51 am »
You do know that the game already comes with powered armour, right?  (2.3 Dev).

My entire squad is fitted with it. 

The animation is (at least on mine) not perfect - crouched walking isn't animated and there is no "life" animation to make suit-wearers look alive when just standing around.

Surrealistik

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 04:57:34 pm »
I've always thought invisibility tech, rooted in nano engineered materials, should be featured in the game as American scientists today are already able to fully conceal three dimensional objects with them. These are not only able to bend light, but other electromagnetic waves as well, including radar. There is absolutely no doubt that such tech will soon be militarized given sponsorship by the US Army and its obvious applications in warfare.