project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Particle Beam Weapons: More Than Just Flashlights?  (Read 24955 times)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Particle Beam Weapons: More Than Just Flashlights?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43:46 pm »
DarkPriest,

suppose I might, but they, in return, will know everything about me, including what I had for breakfast two weeks prior.  :)

no only the nsa would know that lol

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:46 pm »
@DanielOR: The Ideal Gas Law breaks down when intermolecular interactions increase, namely 1) under high pressure and 2) under low temperatures.  For our purposes, the high temperature of the plasma effectively cancels out the high pressure.  Besides, we only need to use the van der Waals corrections when we need to know exactly what the pressure [volume/moles/whatever] is.  The general principles of the Ideal Gas Law still guide us.

@SirMoric: The ETC concept was invented well after WWII [and the flak 88].  While modern formulations of gunpowder do indeed burn more slowly than the old black powder, it still doesn't last long enough to maintain barrel pressure as the bullet moves towards the muzzle.  However, there is the U.S. Army project using separate sections of gunpowder progressively ignited by electric charge.

@Darkpriest667: Chemical reactions do not and can not create radiation, or indeed any changes in the nucleus.  Sorry, but you must have mis-heard whatever it was you overheard.  You could, of course, suffer from burns due to the plasma...  And no, it doesn't need to be hot enough for fusion.  It just needs to maintain enough pressure to keep the bullet accelerating the whole time it is traveling down the barrel.  If you could master enough energy to get fusion, you wouldn't need the bullet anymore.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2008, 12:04:13 am »
DoctorJ: plasma is ionized gas, i.e. each nucleus is missing an electron.  Since every molecule (nucleaus, actually, no?) has a charge "+e", they will be interacting via the Coulomb force (repulsion) which is long range.  This has me worried that ideal gas law does not apply - or has to be modified.  Either way, I am pretty sure that "plasma versions" of gas laws exist, since there is fair bit of plasma physics being done.

Please see the wikipedia article below.  It states that
1. Equations describing plasma behavior MUST include electromagnetic fields, since everything is a charged soup (positively charge nuclei and negatively charged electrons floating about, all of this recombining and splitting again)
2. The fluid model treats plasma as a liquid, with density, flow, etc. - all described by Stokes equation.  I know damn little about fluid dynamics and what I hear scares me.

So...I beleive I was one of the people earlier who tried to apply the ideal gas law to plasma.  I am now ready to admit that it was a very rough approximation at best.  I.e. it is likely I am full of sh@t.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 04:46:25 pm »
Doctor... ok i may have misheard you are correct however... what about the flash.. that much heat that fast must cause some sort of flash as i mentioned earlier

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »
Sure, i'll go along with that.  I'd imagine that the flash would be bright enough to blind people even in full daylight.  I'd expect the shooter would have to wear a face shield with 'active protection', i.e., a transparent material that can become instantly dark under electronic control.  Our bomber crews wore something similar during the Cold War to protect them from nuclear flash blindness.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2008, 07:24:44 pm »
yea, that nuclear blast is a pain...  old soviet army instruction: "in case of a nuclear detonation hold assault rifle in fully extended arms so that the molten metal does not drip on the government issued boots"

sirg

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2008, 07:30:05 pm »
yea, that nuclear blast is a pain...  old soviet army instruction: "in case of a nuclear detonation hold assault rifle in fully extended arms so that the molten metal does not drip on the government issued boots"

LOL that was funny. Fallout humor :)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2008, 07:34:28 pm »
Hey, man - even in early 90s (when I did it) anyone who finished high school their ended up knowing a bit about nuclear and neutron bombs, payloads, kill zones, protective measures, etc.  To say nothing of knowing the effects of various lovely chemicals in NATO arsenal.

sirg

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »
I don't know what you understood. I wasn't mocking you, I thought it was funny, and it is.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 08:18:49 pm »
Oh, I know - I did not take offense.  :)  we're cool!

Konraden

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2008, 04:27:07 am »
Wow. Good to see my topic has come to full out nerd fruitation. :D

Anyone here ever post something to a board (or a few things) and completely forget you did so, only to find out that you did by doing a google search on your tag? I have.

Anyway, did we reach a consensus on the Particle weaponry? Really, it seems like a flashlight, not to mention the entire energy needs for the weapon.
/
Aside from the particle beam weaponry, which seems to be falling flat based on energy needs, what is more powerful than a magnetically accelerated slug of metal?