project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: No How to play Doc?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
No How to play Doc?
« on: March 16, 2006, 03:54:48 pm »
Although I know the game from the early stages and have played TD1 and the X-Mas Demo, I wonder if there is no such thing as a howtoplay section liek there was in those demos.
I.e. I don't know if there is anything to do in the base section other than spending money on new building complexes.
Or how to manage research n stuff.
So could someone enlighten me, please?  :?

Hoehrer

No How to play Doc?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 06:21:40 pm »
http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/howtoplay/howtoplay.html

Most of the stuff you mentioned (research, buildings) do not work yet. They are under development and only partly useable (and undocumented).

The only things that really work fully right now is the equipment screen and the battlescape (maybe some more, but these are the main ones).

Werner

Hoehrer

No How to play Doc?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 06:35:45 pm »
EDIT: deleted dupe

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
No How to play Doc?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 07:00:05 pm »
Cheers for the link.
I'm so much looking forward to playing the whole thing when it's done...

PsyWarrior

No How to play Doc?
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 03:45:48 pm »
Quote from: "Killertomato"

I'm so much looking forward to playing the whole thing when it's done...

Indeed... :D

Just a note, the UI in the howto doc is different to the ingame UI. For instance, none of the buttons on the geoscape are labelled ingame, and they are completely different in the document, so it's a guessing game...

Also, there are some new buttons on the battlescape. For example, a 'shield' button (something to do with reserving TUs for reaction fire? I don't really know). It would be nice to see even just a list of what the new buttons do...

-PsyWarrior

Hoehrer

No How to play Doc?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 04:13:22 pm »
Quote from: "PsyWarrior"
Just a note, the UI in the howto doc is different to the ingame UI. For instance, none of the buttons on the geoscape are labelled ingame, and they are completely different in the document, so it's a guessing game...

Also, there are some new buttons on the battlescape. For example, a 'shield' button (something to do with reserving TUs for reaction fire? I don't really know). It would be nice to see even just a list of what the new buttons do..

Yeah, this howto is the last 'official' one from the original developers (basically TD1). It would be rather cool to have a more recent one, but for that the current interface and the functions behind it should be finished first ;) ... BTW: Tooltips should work as well sometime soon.

On a related note: what about a game-wiki?

Werner

PsyWarrior

No How to play Doc?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:12:25 pm »
I understand that the devs don't want to go to the effort of making a new how-to doc when the UI isn't finished, but it would be nice just to have a listing of what the new buttons do so I know what I'm pressing :D

Maybe in the FAQ section?

-PsyW

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
No How to play Doc?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 11:48:52 am »
try the new svn-revision - i've implemented tooltips

PsyWarrior

No How to play Doc?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 10:14:44 pm »
Ooh...

Roger that. Feedback and/or bug reports as soon as I've had a chance to play with it for a while.

-PsyW

EDIT: Well, I would do, but sourceforge is down again...