project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Volunteering  (Read 11219 times)

courier

Volunteering
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »
Hi, I'm an experienced coder with a few dozen thousand lines of C under my belt (a touch rusty, but it's not like C's changing much) and an abiding love for the X-Com games (I even loved Apocalypse, which I think was much better than its reputation); I'd love to help out with coding if there are coding tasks to be done.

The big caveats are that I have no graphics or 3D experience at all -- my code has always been backend and middleware stuff, even down to the kernel level -- so I'm probably not of much use for the shiny bits of the project.

I'm still in the midst of my first play-through of the game (I'll be sure to submit bugs I run across!) but am loving it immensely.

I've read the TODO list, and will have the code up and compiling on my Mac soon.  Does anyone have a particular project that might be suitable for someone just acquainting himself with the code, or shall I just pick something from the TODO?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteering
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »
Not immediately related to coding, I think we need someone to make mac dmgs. See the news page.

courier

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:35:24 pm »
Sure, I can look into that this evening, maybe get the compiles running overnight.

By the way -- since I have a parallel build going on Debian -- the instructions for Debian say: 
"WARNING: Some music is not included in SVN trunk (because of their license restrictions). You have to download it manually from the UFOAI homepage and decompress it to base/music folder."

Is this correct, and if so is there a link for the download, and does this apply to the other platforms as well? (It's not mentioned on the page for the Mac build)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:29:16 pm »
we would be really glad to finally have a mac coder in our team. And of course a new coder in general is always good, too ;)

The general approach is: submit one or two patches to our patch tracker (just chose a bug or a feature request) and if they meet the coding guidelines (see the coding wiki article) you can get write access to the svn (if you have a sourceforge.net account)

hope to hear back from you.

courier

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:35:21 am »
I'm not really a mac coder as such -- Mac at home, Windows at work, Linux secretly running everything important both places :)  Frankly most of my code, being boring back-end stuff, hasn't much cared what environment it's in so long as it's something close to POSIX.

Anyway, I'm working my way through the Mac build setup stuff.  I'll update the wiki as I go.

courier

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 02:25:05 am »
Am I correct in assuming that the current stable version for which you want packages is from the svn branch ufoai_2.2?

(The wiki still points to ufoai_2.1, but I'm guessing that that's wrong in light of the news page)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 07:34:36 am »
yes, ufoai_2.2 is the right one - feel free to fix the link, too

courier

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 01:00:09 am »
Maps build taking forever.  Looks like it won't finish until tomorrow.

courier

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 03:09:13 pm »
In the map compile, I'm seeing a lot of this:

Code: [Select]
Could not load image pk3 (/Users/ggould/ufoai/2.2/base/0pics.pk3)
Is that normal?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 03:33:55 pm »
I think so.

JerryFu

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:00:39 pm »
hello,

I am in the same boat as courier (the OP)...I have a Mac (Macbook Pro that is about a year old), I am interested in this project and XCOM games, and I have some background in C.  unfortunately, I'm a bit busy for the next couple of months, finishing grad school, but I'd like to participate and help out however I can, hopefully in the future too.  Who should I contact, or where should I look to get started?  I can also look into building mac binaries (dmgs)...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:12:08 pm »
mattn is the man to see, though he'll not be very available for the next few months. You should also read the TODO lists and drop by the IRC channel.

JerryFu

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 10:13:55 pm »
how can i get in touch with mattn?  I'll try to drop by the IRC channel some time this evening :)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 10:09:51 am »
i think mattn will be off the internet for a few weeks now. you could try using the sf.net system to contact him.

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/User:Mattn

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 02:39:38 pm »
i will be around in the forum from time to time - until my provider is going to provide my beloved internet again (might take up to 4 weeks)