project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: THANKS FOR THE CHANCE TO PLAY AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!  (Read 3144 times)

SectoidSam

THANKS FOR THE CHANCE TO PLAY AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:10:00 am »
    Well it's great to be able to play what is essentially the modern x-com ufo defence in working progress. I'm an original x-com player, and every time I got on my PC to play ufo defence I couldnt help but think about how to improve it. Well it would seem I wasnt the only one, and lets face it, the ufo sequels did really give you that fix that you were looking for after tasting the original. So to the guys who have put this together, and Im not sure if it's a labour of love or freelance type gig, but thanks! It's good to play again for the first time.

Im not quite sure where to post my ideas, so I will do it here.

Version 2.2

* First I think it would be better if the un-selected soldiers were cycled every month, so it's not the same "rejects" every time you need to hire reinforcments.
* Secondly in the aircraft menu bar when you assign soldiers there is no scroll option, so if you have more than 19 soldiers you cant see or have access to the rest of them. This is particularly frustrating if you have more than 11 soldiers in the hospital.
* Just one bug, when I baught 2 new stilleto class interceptors and my fully fitted out veteran intercetor just disapeared.
* One idea for future releases would be to include a "veteran status" much the same way something like your firing acurracy is improved after a few missions. I think veteran staus should be influenced by only a couple of things, first being injured in battle should push up your VS, obviously number of missions completed, and number of kills. I hate it when one of my original vets is killed, so perhaps when a soldiers VT gets to a certain level, they would have say a 35% higher chance of survival when sustaining fire. Also when a soldiers VT reaches a certain level they could be immune to panick. I think this is more simulated and a bit of a reward for keeping your guys alive!
* Last idea is a base improvement of a "training facility". Somewhere your rookie reinforcements can improve all of their skills (with exception veteran status of course) at say a quarter of the rate of a soldier in battle. So toward the end of the game when your up against all the really gnarly aliens, your not just sending out guys who are going to die at the end of the first turn, or who wont be able to shoot straight when one of your favourite vets is in trouble.

Once again, the inovations included in this version of "ufo" have made it in alot of ways better than the original micrprose version. (in my opinion). Cheers, Sectoid Sam.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:19:02 am by SectoidSam »

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: THANKS FOR THE CHANCE TO PLAY AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:23:17 am »
I think I can help you with a couple of things
*In a lot of places you can scroll by hovering the mouse over the thing you want to scroll and using the mousewheel.
*Soldiers stats do improve with experience. This is not implemented for all stats, but it is implemented for accuracy and weapon-category-specific stats. IMO the increase is a little slow ATM.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:44:23 pm »
*Soldiers stats do improve with experience. This is not implemented for all stats, but it is implemented for accuracy and weapon-category-specific stats. IMO the increase is a little slow ATM.

Note that this is not in 2.2.*. The way it works in 2.2 is that you get some fixed improvement depending on how many kills you've scored with a particular weapon.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:44:09 pm »
The way it works in 2.2 is that you get some fixed improvement depending on how many kills you've scored with a particular weapon.

Ah, so i see i've some more editing to do at: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Skills/Improvement.  So if i hit with a Bolter Rifle Snapshot that only helps my Assault skill, while hitting with a Precision Shot that only helps my Sniper Skill?  However, i would still imagine that every kill goes towards increasing basic attributes such as Accuracy??

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:18:32 am »
I don't really remember exactly how it is in 2.2. You can look it up in the code if you want.