project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Version 2.3 Bug- Map Loading  (Read 4127 times)

Zurak

Version 2.3 Bug- Map Loading
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:54:00 am »
Running windows vista
intel core 2 duo cpu t7300 @2 ghz
2046 MB ram
nvidia geforce 8400M GT

For some reason when i got to load a map for ground combat, map loading screen flashes for a fraction of a second then i am back on geoscape while my transport just hovers over the wreck, i end up having to autocomplete all the missions.  I have no clue why it does this... anyway i can help you track it or any tools i can use to try and figure it out?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Version 2.3 Bug- Map Loading
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:46:31 am »
You most likely don't have the maps compiled. When this happens, open the console and see if it gives an error about not being able to load the map. If so, you're going to have to compile them before you can play any missions.

Zurak

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:06:01 pm »
ok interesting....there are some missions that i can pla, but i think you are right.   When i go to skirmish mode...some maps are blank in the preview while others show the landscape.  Can anyone tell me how to manually compile a map?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile

Zurak

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:24:41 pm »
i downloaded the program an i believe it is compiling the maps now.  Is taking forever, but it is working base files.  If there are any computer experts here (other than admin, already wasted enough of their time  ;D), does it make sense for perl to only use up 50 percent of available CPU power to compile these maps? memory is only at 30, most of which goes to vista, and hard drive is almost inactive. In the future is there a way for me to (and now i am going to throw out words that ive heard before even though they may be irrelevant) increase priority or something along the lines for the program that will allow it to use more cpu power to work faster?

i am monitoring with the vista performance monitor which is how im getting this info.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:35 pm »
ufo2map is not a multi-core application, and you use a multi-core CPU. That's why it only uses 50%.

Zurak

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »
that is interesting, i never knew programs had to be tailored to dual core processors like that.  I started college with the intention of working in the microprocesor field but switched to something else.  Maybe its a good thing i got away from that headache

Zurak

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:29:03 am »
So after 7 hours of running perl... it got to some sort of an error on a test map and closed itself out.  I cant see anywhere that base files were created...still only .map files.

Have you ever wanted to see an adult cry? Come over to my house.

Ill look through wiki to see if i can find some sort of a fix or alternate meathod, anyone else have this problem or is it just my own personal misfortune?

dont know if it helps but when i run ufo2 map i get an error, running perl it was a command prompt that was reading files and had a coutner that read like this

found ......... farm.map

some more stuff then

Zurak

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:44:37 am »
the file is test_patch.map

i moved it out and saved in a different folder...started python again (python also crashed on that file) and it continued where perl left off, all appears to be working again. I dont know what test_patch is for but if its a vital file for 2.3 then i would say its bugged or i just have datacorruption on that file

sorry for posting so much, i should investigate more i guess before posting my step by step progress  :(

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:07:52 am »
Odd, I do not have a test_patch.map in my up-to-date working copy.

sounds like a dev device anyhow. Pretty sure that is not a vital map for the campaign.

Zurak

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »
now that ive finished i would say that 90 percent of the time i can enter missions now.  Alot of time after a ufo is shot down, it does not put a red x, and the ` command prompt shows that the game was unable to find a related map for position xxx.xxxxxx yyy.yyyyyy zzz.zzzzzzz.  Doesent matter, i was up until 2 am shooting aliens... good thing i went on leave yesterday otherwise i would be haivng a rough day today.  ;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »
It can't find a map because the location has a combination of terrain, population and architectural style that does not occur in any of the maps. The solution would be to make more maps.

Zurak

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 12:12:21 am »
interesting maybe i will try my hand at making more maps.  I have absolutely zero experience, so i will probably fail horribly, at least the first few attempts.  But it would be a fun challenge.