project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Where is the sound ?  (Read 3018 times)

PeterDIK

Where is the sound ?
« on: July 21, 2006, 01:58:51 pm »
I downloaded rc1 - no sound - ok i wait for next build
I downloaded rc2 - no sound - ok i wait for next build
I downloaded rc3 - NO ANY SOUND.

I ASK, WHY ?

Meow

Where is the sound ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:33:16 pm »
Hi,
i m wondering the same.
It was mentionned many times before and it seems some people know the solution to compile it correctly to have the sound.
Could someone (who knows how to do it) compile it correctly and put the "exe" and/or "Dll" somewhere to download (?), intead of asking everyone to download every tools/source/directX sdk... to compile it by himself (without be sure of the result).

bye

PeterDIK

Where is the sound ?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 12:36:49 am »
I SEE.

That sound in that game is a myth,

thats all i hav to now.

Bye Bye.

Better luck in next game.

Galsiah

Where is the sound ?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 03:18:54 am »
Is there any need for that attitude? The game isn't finished, and you haven't paid anything for it.

I guess you're on windows right? In that case, the sound almost certainly works if the game is compiled with DirectSound, rather than SDL Sound. (at least it did for me a few days ago with the trunk code)

Presumably someone will put release a DirectSound / fixed SDL version quite soon. I haven't compiled the latest RC3 yet, and haven't totally cleanly compiled any version. I could probably upload a version with sound in a few days if no-one else has. However, it'd be preferable if someone who knows the code better does it - I've always had to coax the compiler so far, so I can't be 100% certain that the "insignificant" changes I've made are not foolish.

Also, bear in mind that DirectSound is clearly Windows only, so it's not a full, long term solution - just a temporary workaround. Producing DirectSound versions doesn't really move the project forward, since (I think) the intention is to use SDL sound on all platforms.

jars_

Re: Where is the sound ?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:30:04 am »
Quote from: "PeterDIK"

I downloaded rc3 - NO ANY SOUND.

Also just downloaded rc3 and also got no sound - glad to know it is not just me.  Curious though I seem to remember having sound in the X-Mas special that was released previously?

Either way think things are looking great - about time we had a modern X-Com game come out!

I look forward to the "gold" version.