project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Ideas  (Read 9886 times)

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Alien Ideas
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:52:12 pm »
I've got a wiki I've been working on for my own open source project, complete with descriptions of aliens of my own quirky design.

I thought you might find them useful, as I'm perfectly willing to share them.  They're under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License, but if you need another license, I'm willing to be flexible.  I seem to remember you guys want all parts of the project under the GPL, even the non-software parts, right?

You'll find a list of the aliens I've designed at:
http://deimosproject.wiki.sourceforge.net/Alien+Races

Of those I believe the Molluskos and the Teachers would make excellent XVI fodder, perhaps with a bit of tweaking.  Unfortunately, I've no pictures, as my talents lie in writing rather than drawing.

The Molluskos should work fine as is, especially the Soldier caste.

The Teachers should also work if you either tone down or omit the bit about their immune system.  I could see an interesting sub-plot with the Teachers being freed of their XVI infection if desired; perhaps XVI is simply the one disease they could never conquer and a war is constantly being fought for control of their bodies.  They'd most likely be used in some kind of research/scientific role, because in essence, they have a genetics/medical lab built into their bodies.  Alternatively, you could just use their body form and most of the anatomical info from the wiki, omitting what you don't like.

Combat-wise, the Molluskos soldiers would be a pain; bullets should bounce right off their shells (or do very little damage) and they could hide inside them between the player's turns.  I'd assume this would be what happens when they "crouch".  Salt would be the deadliest thing you could use against them.  Snails do tend to die rather quickly when exposed to it...

Teachers on the other hand would be fairly weak against bullets, but could be easily "genetically customized" for almost any task.  You could do something similar to humans having cybernetic implants.  Players would have to be cautious with them as they could have almost any unusual ability and could easily take on traits of the other aliens by sampling their DNA.

Panthera Leo

Re: Alien Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:06:58 am »
As far as Fedora/Redhat licensing is concerned? Here is the official link, but lists the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike v3 as 'good' for content.

The GPL is just the flagship of Linux, that is as far as I know universally accepted, there is nothing innately wrong with most other open source licenses. That said Fedora, designed to be free and open, does take acception to a few.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:09:26 am by Panthera Leo »

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:21:20 pm »
So, is there any interest in using my aliens for UFO: Alien Invasion?  I can rewrite my wiki entries as autopsy reports like the stuff in the game if you're interested.

Any general comments besides?  I'm curious what others think.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:56:24 pm »
Unless you have concept art and/or usable models for your aliens, I doubt we'll use your stuff. Writing we take care of ourselves easily enough. It's the media we're starving for.

knightsubzero

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:54:46 am »
the cow alien sounds awsome, maybe called a cowleaan.....basically a mutated cow, with mellee abilities....good for a laugh, sometimes you need some humor,

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:27:34 am »
What cow alien?

The two aliens I suggested using were a snail-like species and a semi-humanoid invertebrate.  None of the ones in my wiki are cow-like, either.

knightsubzero

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 03:36:53 am »
someone else suggested it in another thread...but giant snails sounds cool, maybe as tank like creatures.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 12:03:36 am »
lol cow aliens?!

but actually i think... creepy aliens of all kinds are nice. Like they put eggs into a cow... and lateron
that cow dies and breeds new aliens. (Small aliens of course... wouldnt make sense to have a 4 metres alien coming out of a cow...)

But the biggest problem I guess - as indicated - is that shape/media/artwork for them seems to be lacking :(

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 03:43:04 pm »
Yeah, I've been meaning to find an artist to do the concept art for me.  If anyone is interested, PM me.

After that I hope to get models made, either by me with my own 3D modeler (lots of work, as I've never tried modeling anything organic) or somebody else (my personal preference).

Even if this project's dev team isn't interested, I can still use the concept art and models for my own stuff.  Couple of good renders would be a nice addition to my wiki.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
or somebody else (my personal preference).

Hey, that's my personal preference too. What a coincidence.

knightsubzero

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 05:28:04 am »
well the cow aliens would be like cyborg cows, the aliens would cut out parts of the cows brain, changing their arms (i know cows are 4 legged), a bit like a minotaur....the cows would be very strong in mellee, could maybe have a charge attack, which would let them cover many squares at a reduced TU cost.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:43:30 am »

ripclaw

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 02:22:29 am »
the cows sound fun - like the cow-level in diablo, or the mutilated sheep in sven bomwollen...

the tank-snail sounds fun, too. slow, huge armor, close combat (flamer-like acid-spit ?)

what about levitating sunflowers (flying, telepathic, damage aura) ?

Offline BAM

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:48 am »
Maybe the cows can make mutated cheese! Then the soldiers would eat it, and the aliens could hatch from the human..............

Sorry, but I don't think cows fit into the storyline very well.