project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Models Needed  (Read 21498 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Models Needed
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:18:54 pm »
Here is a current list of models we need with brief descriptions:

Aerial Laser Cannon - Laser gun for aircraft. Should be turret-mounted.

UGV Pod (Small, Medium, Large) - Pods to be mounted on aircraft weapon hardpoints, containing 1 UGV of the appropriate size class.

Hyperion-class Armed Dropship - Early-game dropship with some UFO-fighting capability. Untextured model available in Winter's Untextured Models Pack, ready for unwrapping and texturing, but if submitted a new model would be considered.

Herakles-class Heavy Lifter - Mid-game dropship with minimal weapons but very large carrying capacity and range.

Raptor-class Combat Transport - Late-game dropship with respectable anti-UFO armament and decent carrying capacity.

Several new armour models, described in another thread.

Alien Needler Gun - Alien weapon firing armour-piercing monomolecular-tipped needles. Must be sleek and show a large magazine. Will need separate magazine.

UFO Needler - Larger, UFO-mounted version of the needler gun.

UFO Needler Rounds - Monomolecular-tipped needles for the UFO Needler.

Flare - A simple electric or chemical flare.

This list may be changed or added to in future.

If you can help out with any of these, please post!

Regards,
Winter
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:24:39 pm by Winter »

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Models Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:18:10 am »
brief descriptions of the 3 dropships at the top of this page:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Vehicles_%26_UFOs

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:04:56 pm »
Alien Needler Gun - Alien weapon firing armour-piercing monomolecular-tipped needles. Must be sleek and show a large magazine. Will need separate magazine.

You mean something like this?

(Eldar shuriken catapult from WH40K)

I am rather new to modelling, but may give a try at something not too complex.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:48:19 pm »
You mean something like this?

(Eldar shuriken catapult from WH40K)

I am rather new to modelling, but may give a try at something not too complex.

I'm not too fond of Warhammer myself, but more than that, the design would have to be different enough to be visibly not the same weapon due to copyright concerns. The magazine would definitely have to be different and larger, probably a big box or drum, in order to fit enough ammo. The whole thing needs to fit in with the established alien visual style.

If the end model looks good and satisfies all these requirements, though, I don't see a problem with using the design for inspiration . . .

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:26:54 pm »
Well, I feel more comfortable with human techs :)

I thought about UGV pod and made a draft model with a droppable vehicle container and communication device. Is it how it's intended to be?

If granted permission to work on, I'll start a new thread.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:23:18 am »
We already have a stickied list of Needed Models.

If that list is been fulfilled, it should be un-stickied, and this one put in it's place, else the lists should be merged.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:22:56 am »
We already have a stickied list of Needed Models.

If that list is been fulfilled, it should be un-stickied, and this one put in it's place, else the lists should be merged.

That would defeat the entire point of why I posted this list, which is to generate some actual interest in creating models. When the ball's rolling I will consider merging the lists.

Zorlen: It's a good start, but these things are meant to be loaded onto supersonic aircraft, so a little more thought to aerodynamics might be a good idea. Also, it would hinge open on the bottom in order to air-drop the UGVs.

Regards,
Winter

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 05:13:43 pm »
That would defeat the entire point of why I posted this list.

your purpose would also be defeated by potential molders coming to the forum, checking the stickied list, finding the few remaining items of no interest, and leaving, without out having seen this thread further down.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:49:15 pm »
your purpose would also be defeated by potential molders coming to the forum, checking the stickied list, finding the few remaining items of no interest, and leaving, without out having seen this thread further down.

That would be a valid point, but common forum practice is to ignore any and all stickies and check the active threads.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:19:35 pm »
How about doing best of both worlds? Leave the current thread as it is, but add the needed models into the sticky as well. That way, you catch both groups of people. :P

It does mean twice as much work, though, when the hordes of modelers start finishing projects and you need to update the 'completed' status of each one. :)

Edit: On the UGV pods, I always had in mind that they'd land with the aircraft and open up to allow the UGV to drive off. If it's dropped before landing, then there's the possibility of damaging the UGV from the fall or from the dropship landing on it. It also wouldn't need communication gear: the hardpoint would transfer all applicable telemetry to/from the UGV/Pod/Dropship.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:23:40 pm by Psawhn »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:52:43 pm »
Edit: On the UGV pods, I always had in mind that they'd land with the aircraft and open up to allow the UGV to drive off. If it's dropped before landing, then there's the possibility of damaging the UGV from the fall or from the dropship landing on it.

Same reason why tanks and troops get air-dropped in the real world, really.

It also wouldn't need communication gear: the hardpoint would transfer all applicable telemetry to/from the UGV/Pod/Dropship.

And how does that remove the need for communications gear inside the UGV . . . ? The UGV still gets deployed, and it isn't attached by wire . . .

Regards,
Winter

Starship_Yard

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 04:14:06 am »
Same reason why tanks and troops get air-dropped in the real world, really.

They get dropped right now from high altitude as we don't have the capability to deliver them via a long range VTOL or STOVL platform.  And even then, only light equipment gets airdropped as there is about a 16-20 tonne limit to current air drop technology.  Most tracked vehicles are way above this limit.  Other than excercises there is unlikely to ever be a massive parachute air assault like WWII in the future.  Just too much risk from most enemy air defenses and danger of enemy forces attacking before the landing force is able to orient and organize itself.

As for helicopter delivery, the payload is smaller yet, more like about 12 tonnes for the CH-53G's, and I think about 8 for the Chinooks.

Brett

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 05:11:04 pm »
They get dropped right now from high altitude as we don't have the capability to deliver them via a long range VTOL or STOVL platform.

. . . That's not the reasoning behind HALO drops. They're mainly for staying out of SAM range, commonly used in enemy territory where anti-air fire would present a threat to the dropship and cargo.

Any area with alien activity in it can be classified as enemy territory for the duration, because the aliens will always be there before PHALANX. Then, taking into account the fact that the vast majority of missions will take place in areas with lots of cover, low-altitude drops would be perfectly feasible with parachutes or other deceleration mechanisms (disposable landing thrusters, for example, or even high-tech impact protection bags).

And even then, only light equipment gets airdropped as there is about a 16-20 tonne limit to current air drop technology.  Most tracked vehicles are way above this limit.

And how would that be a problem for PHALANX UGVs in 2084, the very largest of which would be about the size of a very small automobile?

Regards,
Winter
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 05:24:48 pm by Winter »

pattex25

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:06 pm »
Is this a sleek (??) alien needler?

Currently it's neither UV-mapped nor textured, but if someone tells me how to do this, then I could try myself...
The blob in the rear part is the magazine. It should look a bit like a ball of wool, but instead of wool, it's the needles. they get unrolled, cut and charged (and fired) within the gun, which results in a very large ammo capacity... (Hope this fits the needed weapon!)

Use it if you like it!
comment if you feel like it!

edit: the license is GPL or CC... choose the one you like best...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 07:01:23 pm by pattex25 »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »
The blob in the rear part is the magazine. It should look a bit like a ball of wool, but instead of wool, it's the needles. they get unrolled, cut and charged (and fired) within the gun, which results in a very large ammo capacity... (Hope this fits the needed weapon!)

That's horrendously overcomplicated for a battlefield weapon, with way too many places where something could break. It's also not a good place for a magazine either, because you couldn't possibly reach it without having to drop your weapon. A drum of needles somewhere along the body of the weapon would be better.

Forgetting the bulb for a second, the design isn't bad, I have no complaints. I don't see where you could put a proper magazine on it though.

Regards,
Winter