project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Did I just beat the game?  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Silveressa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Did I just beat the game?
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:41 am »
I was playing along like normal, and had just successfully destroyed the very first viral attack craft then returned to base, the game continues on for about another 7 days then i get a screen showing a alien ship and the message "Thank you for playing UFO Alien invasion Now after you have finished the single player campaigns you should try the multi player features."

Then when I click to continue i get another screen showing a bunch of soldiers posing for the camera.

So is this the actual ending for the game or did I somehow lose?

(Incase any of these details matter: Difficulty easy, viral infection 4% income 788,433, all research except UFO harvester, fighter, alien propulsion completed. (I couldn't do these because I never captured a scout UFO.)

ufogio

Re: Did I just beat the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:12:49 am »
Now you should play at normal difficulty!

Offline Silveressa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:27:35 am »
Aye I intend to, however I would like to know if that's the end of the game or if that's just the end for easy. (the game went for about a year give or take a week.) If that's the normal ending then it's rather anti climatic.

ufogio

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:45:37 am »
This game is an open source project and it is still under development.
There are already some discussions on how the storyline should continue, but I think there are other things to fix first (the stat improvement system, create new maps, new aliens, clean the code, etc...) so this is the reason why the story ends like this.
If you want to help, please read the other posts first, and then you can contribute with your ideas or opinions.
Anyway, yes... it finishes after the first viral attack craft mission, it doesn't depend on the difficulty level.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »
There are already some discussions on how the storyline should continue,

Actually, the gist of the storyline has been set since before 2.2 was even released. There may be minor adjustments, but that part of the design is basically finished. The reason why it's not in 2.2 is simply because the support for a lot of it hasn't been coded.

Fourpak

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:42:11 pm »
arg!, I also just got this ending a few minutes ago. 

Captured a Harvester, Scout, Fighter, had 8 bases, some antimatter, a buncha captured aliens, was looking forward to some kind of escalation in the conflict and learning how to use Antimatter, Particle Beam weapons, Vehicles, Attachments, etc.

After several weekends of glorious play this is pretty disappointing.  waah!   :'(
Hurry up and finish the next installment already!

In the mean time, has anyone made a 'sandbox' mod so you can just play the tactical combat part?  maybe with a bunch of new maps?  or even the existing maps, many of which i probably never got to see. *snif*

Offline Silveressa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »
Check out the multiplayer mode, with a bit of tweaking you can configure it so it's just your squad vs. the AI on several different maps.

It;s pretty fun that way, although honestly I too would like to just see the game be open ended as is, where after the  credits screen if you press continue you can just keep playing with endless missions etc.. but no main storyline progression.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:33:41 am »
awaah!   :'(
Hurry up and finish the next installment already!

If you are so impatient why don't you learn how to model, or code, texture or make maps so you can help finish the next installment.