project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The Gameplay of the XVI plague  (Read 12207 times)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
The Gameplay of the XVI plague
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:49:29 pm »
Ok, there are some threads talking about how the XVI plauge will spread accross the geoscape like this one.

For this purposes of this topic, i don't care how it looks, and i don't care about what the XVI is.  The question is, how do you fight a worldwide plague in this game?  Obviously the elite PHALANX troops aren't going to forcibly inoculate the whole world.

The one piece of info: apparently alien bases are the source of this plague.  But that leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Can the player prevent the construction of alien bases?

What happen when a base is destroyed, but has spread XVI in the immediate area?  The spread slows... the XVI dies out... or nothing?

Is the player actually able to stop the XVI or is it an inevitable part of the story-line?

If the player can cure an infected area... how does he do that?

How does XVI infection relate to the 8 nations paying the bills?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: The Gameplay of the XVI plague
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:20:40 pm »
Can the player prevent the construction of alien bases?

Yes, by religiously intercepting UFOs that are going on base-building missions.

What happen when a base is destroyed, but has spread XVI in the immediate area?  The spread slows... the XVI dies out... or nothing?

The spread retreats somewhat, particularly if the player has an effective anti-organism researched, but it won't be possible to wipe it out completely. Also, infected areas without alien bases will try to link up with the nearest base(s).

Is the player actually able to stop the XVI or is it an inevitable part of the story-line?

The player will be able to slow XVI spread through research, interception and tac missions, but it will eventually take over the whole planet unless the player reaches and performs the final campaign mission.

If the player can cure an infected area... how does he do that?

There's no way to fully cure an infected area.

How does XVI infection relate to the 8 nations paying the bills?

PHALANX efforts or failures to fight XVI spread have a high effect on nation happiness. When infection rates in a region exceed 50%, the nation will start to contribute less and less money to PHALANX. At some point between 70% and 90%, the nation will cease to contribute completely. After 95% the nation becomes actively hostile to PHALANX.

The figures are adjustable, but they get the basic idea across.

Regards,
Winter

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:04:18 am »
The player will be able to slow XVI spread through research, interception and tac missions, but it will eventually take over the whole planet unless the player reaches and performs the final campaign mission.

Actually this is easier to do that i had originally thought.

All you have to do is continually increase the tempo of alien attacks.  Even if the player is 99% successful (unlikely!) eventually either the XVI will take over the world, PHALANX will go broke, or the player will move on to the final campaign mission series.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:55:50 pm »
That is exactly what the new campaign system aims to achieve.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:12 pm »
That is exactly what the new campaign system aims to achieve.
Ah, yes, i just saw the "campaign mechanics" proposal.  it's amazing how often i find something explained on the wiki/forums after figuring it out for myself, or getting it answered.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:47:53 am by eleazar »

Marx83

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:16:36 am »
Personally, I've never liked the idea of being "forced" to progress.  Especially when that means the end of the game.  I most enjoyed X-COM because of the ability to "almost" complete the game.  I would urge the designers to please reconsider.

Surrealistik

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:04 am »
I agree. Players really should have the option to continue a campaign indefinitely if they so wish. Perhaps, as with in-mission saves, this is a parameter that could be selectable.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:49:51 am »
They can play as long as they want.  However to keep things interesting, the power of the aliens continues to increase as they play.

Do you want an option for: "aliens can't defeat me, ever" ?

Marx83

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 06:23:56 pm »
They can play as long as they want.  However to keep things interesting, the power of the aliens continues to increase as they play.

Do you want an option for: "aliens can't defeat me, ever" ?

This is not what we are asking.  The plague issue forces the conclusion of the game, what I'm asking for is to make campaign indefinite if the player chooses.  That is not a request to remove the plague, or make the game easier.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:19:41 pm »
This is not what we are asking.  The plague issue forces the conclusion of the game, what I'm asking for is to make campaign indefinite if the player chooses.  That is not a request to remove the plague, or make the game easier.

Then please explain how it can be accomplished without "removing the plague, or makeing the game easier."

Marx83

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:51:30 pm »
Then please explain how it can be accomplished without "removing the plague, or makeing the game easier."

By not making it force the conclusion of the game.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 07:56:02 pm »
By not making it force the conclusion of the game.

It doesn't directly, but the XVI spread, as well as alien activity will grow increasingly severe, to a point that the player can't keep up de defense anymore. In that sense, the campaign does very much force the end. This is how we intend it.

nemchenk

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »
But a superhuman player could carry on regardless, right? I think that is all Marx83 wants -- the option to play on, regardless :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »
Absolutely. If you're really good (or cheat), then you can carry on longer. There is no fixed date at which the campaign ends.

Panthera Leo

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 07:46:53 am »
I'm with the "as a absolute, don't force me to end a game I'm enjoying" group.

Granted starting over can be fun, I think the over all question is: Even if the odds get stacked to the point it would take perfection to just lose half your squad, there is still a challenge to enjoy. Where as if there is a variable in the background that is constantly growing without recourse to halt or reduce, that once it reaches 100.0 the game end abruptly is a kill joy.It's a interesting plot device, but a kill joy to have looming overhead.

To know that soon as I jump this last hurtle, or wait one more game day one way or another I get the credits, and then kick back to the main menu? Kill joy.

Even if it violates the story ,we just won or lost, it would be nice to be turned lose in a sandbox mode where we can keep fighting.

Edit: The fight is fun, the story is just very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:50:46 am by Panthera Leo »