project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Convoy map to hard  (Read 8456 times)

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Convoy map to hard
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 03:55:12 pm »
I never had any real problem with this map, but I'm a little odd sometimes.

I clear the hobo camp & tent with a close combat scout/medic and my GL w/rocket launcher. Once that alien is dead the CC plays medic and the GL switches to the rockets and stays high to scan the inaccessable plateau. The CC also carries extra RL missiles, he drops some of those up there.

Run a GL to the base of the hills on the right, below the small cliff and out of LoS. Have a laser or MG covering the hills from the trucks. When the shooter spots an alien the GL arcs 'nades onto him. If you have aliens hiding in the alcove along the road rain some GL-loving on them. After that move up to the top of the hills, GL spots for the shooter. Clear the top and move to drop more explosives on the end of the convoy.

My last four guys camp the trucks. I've done the map with RF and active fire, it works both ways. Two snipers and two heavy lasers or any similar combo works. Stay at your end, always have someone with a medkit behind the truck, heal anyone not at full health, stay crouched and keep the aliens at the opposite end of the map. Your accuracy over long ranges will keep them down at their end and you have that GL working up over the hills towards them.

Part of the reason I get away with having so many snipers and long range weapons is that I carry a flamer in the backpack. It's accuracy and damage at close ranges mean that dedicated snipers with no other skills can function in a close combat environment. Also every slot on a GL's belt should have reloads, the holster gets a pistol and reloads, the backpack gets a medkit or rocket launcher and more reloads. Pack as much ammo as you can onto your grenade launcher guys, this gets more important in 2.3 than in 2.2, just don't be stingy with ammo.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 06:08:58 pm »
laser rifles and rocket launcher FTW.

It's not an easy map, but beatable. I never enter the canyon - I use the trucks on the left for cover.

Smig

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 12:47:10 pm »
I don't really remember the dificulty I've set but it should have been standard. The only time I've done this mission I had no problem with it, I'm not sure if this map was nerfed in the meantime but I didn't find it especially hard, only extremely annoying.

I've sent 1 guy to check out the small hill to the left (I thought there was no one there), 3 guys to the big hill on the right (to clear it and snipe the road) and the rest to the trucks. It took a while because of all the walking around, I agree it's too big, but the only problems were some annoyances:

- civilians: near the trucks there are lots of passages that are only 1 square wide, for some reason, civilians tend to choose the worst spots to end their turn, one that got my soldier completely stuck between the road and the hill for 3 turns in a row, others happily volunteering as human shields trying to get in the line of fire everytime they could. This was also a problem in a military bunker map where civilians would block my way in for several turns on those 1 square entrances.

- map bug: the road ends going downwards, in that last section where most aliens were concentrated, that particular section proved to be unselectable for me in my map. I couldn't move to that place nor shoot at aliens in there simply because I couldn't target them nor the ground. I've tried different altitude levels but with no luck. I had to wait for them to eventually get to me to properly finish the mission.

Sticky Mcbud

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 08:36:11 pm »
lol on civilians... i have been known to shoot a civ or two because they was in my way for my sniper shot..  Casualties of war i say :D