project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to make a working pk3?  (Read 4106 times)

Woreczko

How to make a working pk3?
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:16:41 pm »
Hi
I had an ambition to tinker a bit with weapon stats and whatnot. So I unzipped 0ufos.pk3. In order to be sure, that my modifications will not be wasted, I packed again all the files with winzip and named this archive 0ufos.pk3, just like the original file. After swapping the files, I fired up the game and... it froze at loading screen. There is something wrong with my pk3 but I don`t know what - I did not alter any text files, just unzipped and zipped it again. My own pk3 is 1kb smaller than the original. Maybe I`m using outdated winzip? Any ideas?
Thanks

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a working pk3?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:58:01 pm »
The game prefers unpacked files over packed ones. You don't need to repack the pk3. If you really want to dispel all doubt, delete or rename the pk3.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:58:38 pm »
maybe the path names are wrong? make sure that you really don't have a base folder inside the pk3

Woreczko

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:18:51 pm »
Thanks guys :)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:53:46 am »
I've found from experience on my windows machine that the default zip software built-in to xp works fine, but sometimes 7zip and other programs pack it in a way the game doesn't like.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:48:32 am »
maybe the path names are wrong? make sure that you really don't have a base folder inside the pk3

To clarify (because i didn't understand at first :P)

If you unpackage "0pics.pk3", it will create a folder "0pics" (at least with my system)
But you need to drag the two folders inside ("pics" and "textures") out of "0pics" directly into "base"