project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 4679 times)

Takai

First impressions
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:35:44 pm »
So, I finally got a working version. My first criticism:

1. Geoscape.
It doesn't look bad, but it lack the original feel of Earth being in space. Dark space. And rotating the globe was fun. Also, it would be nice to see a major cities in close-up.

2. Music.
It's too relaxing-like. It really lack the creepy tension of the originals.

3. Interface.
I don't like it all. The original (window-based "computer program" with artwork backgrounds) is still vastly superior to the series of "computer terminal in polished stone" feeling. If you don't know what I'm talking about, launch Enemy Unknown ot TftD for a while. The way things work is not totally non-intuitive (in fact I spent several minutes trying to find out how to arm the interceptor aircraft at the various pylons).

4. Soldier models are out-of-scale (huge heads, small bodies). They also seemed to have about 3-4 head variants, and about half of my team seemed to be maked out of Hillary Clinton clones (in fact one of them was even named Clinton). How about balaclavas, gas-masks, or full-head helmets instead of berets? No-one in NATO really wears berets to combat anymore, anyway (it's more of a ceremonial or casual headgear). I know there were only several heads in X-XOM (and all Guile clones during battle), but still. I also liked the X-COM's color-coded stats more. Also soldiers should be reached not only through aircraft armament.

5. Text-based intro is really boring, and really not that needed. How about adding the story to the documentation?

6. The time-rate should be default to 5mins while starting the game. It should be optional to automatically assign weapons to the soldiers.

7. Hiring personnel should be limitless, and their stats a roulette. I don't think stats for non-soldiers are even needed (are you making them defend the base or something?).

That's all for all. I'll comment on the combat when I get there.

Oh, I forgot: I don't see a reason to have different types of pistols (or even call a pistol other then a simple "Pistol"). Yes, I liked X-COM series' minimalistic approach.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:50:05 pm by Takai »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:47:45 pm »
As always, if you think you can improve an aspect of the game, patches are welcome. If not, things will likely stay the same. Though we do plan to change some things you mentioned, such as the personnel stats and arming soldiers from the aircraft menu.

Takai

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:59:50 pm »
I'm not a programmer (or a musician, or 3D artist). I'm only testing and commenting.

What would I eventually do is translation or maybe 2D art (I'm only slowly learning CGI, I laways drew on paper - but anyway I'd draw better than laughable UFO2000 art for sure, but I think most people would too). I almost wrote "graphic design", but on the second thought not really. Guess I'd draw 2D stuff if someone else'd then color it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:01:24 pm by Takai »

Takai

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:21:04 pm »
Continued: NO UFOPEDIA! How am I supposed to know if Machine Gun is "Assault Weapon" or a "Heavy Weapon"? Or know about its firing modes? Without leaving the game, that is (I'm aware there's a Wiki.)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:23:19 pm »
Not to intrude too much in this thread, but which version of the game are you testing and commenting on?

Takai

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »
Not to intrude too much in this thread, but which version of the game are you testing and commenting on?

The newest Windows installer (with fixed 3D graphics).

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:26:28 pm »
From sourceforge (2.1) or one of the beta installers?

Takai

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:28:59 pm »
Beta, beta.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 05:41:13 pm »
Continued: NO UFOPEDIA! How am I supposed to know if Machine Gun is "Assault Weapon" or a "Heavy Weapon"? Or know about its firing modes? Without leaving the game, that is (I'm aware there's a Wiki.)

There is, or at least should be a UFOPedia in the game, although given that you've downloaded a beta, I suppose it is possible it might be a temporary bug in that particular development snapshot - if such is the case, what happens when you click the UFOPedia button on the main geoscape?  I'm not one of the devs, but if you post a screenshot I'm sure one of them could help.

Takai

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 05:48:21 pm »
I didn't see any such, but maybe I just overlook it.

Also, most options on the base screen are written This Way, but one is written This way.

Edit: I'm now reading wiki. and see "Along with high-explosive rockets and grenades, this [Sniper Rifle] is one of the few standard-issue human weapons that are fully effective against robotic aliens." Hand grenades shouldn't really work this way - unless there are standard anti-personal and specialized AT grenades.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:55:40 pm by Takai »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 05:59:07 pm »
I didn't see any such, but maybe I just overlook it.

I don't have the game running at this moment (so I don't have a screenshot handy), but if I remember correctly there should be three tabs in the lower left of the main geoscape screen (right above where message texts appear), one for the UFOpedia, one for building a new base, and another for statistics on funding organizations.

I hope that helps!  (To be honest, I had the same problem finding everything when I first tried the game, you're not alone.)

Takai

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 11:36:07 pm »
Now I see it, but there are errors (http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2009.0).

Skill related to the weapon should be shown during item arrangement screen.