project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ufopedia tech pictures?  (Read 10488 times)

Offline wrwrwr

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Ufopedia tech pictures?
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:19:00 am »
Wiki does not mention what is needed and what's done. Do you need models or just images?

I've made two for a try; for alien astrogation and propulsion. Both can be found in attachments.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline wrwrwr

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Ufopedia tech pictures?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:20:17 am »
Pictures in place.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:55:11 am »
the astrogation is a little bit dark - please try to add a light to the scene

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:32:55 am »
Alternatively, only brighten up the external light a little, but add self-illumination to panels and screens. If you need ideas for detail on the screen, try orbital trajectories, gravity wells, complicated schematics things with telemetry, etc...

Also, personally, I think the antimatter engines are a good start but look too simple. They need texture, and possibly modelled greebles. The green glow could also be brightened. (Or remove the volumetric stuff altogether and put a bright green light inside the mechanism).

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:06:37 am »
Unfortunately Alien Astrogation and Propulsion already have models, I believe -- one made by sitters (craft_item_astro in SVN) and an old model of a UFO engine (it's in there somewhere). There's a list posted right here in the Artwork forum of pieces that don't have models yet.

Some advice for future models, if you're making something that uses the same technology or is directly related to something the player can already see in-game, such as UFO engines, the model should look recognisably similar. No offence intended, but right now what you've got for Alien Propulsion looks nothing like the engines seen on our UFOs, it's just three black and green tubes stuck together (even though the engines on our UFOs are wing-mounted).

We really want the style to remain coherent over the whole game rather than throwing out different models for every iteration of an item.

Regards,
Winter

Offline wrwrwr

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »
Ok, thanks for the fast answer; these were just some sketches, but i thought it's better to ask before putting more work into them.

Some things seem to be missing and are not listed in the forum or todo lists, namely alien materials and some autopsies. Anyway i'll try to stick to those things marked as open. :)

I've found some engines, three of them:
- aircraft/ufo_scout/ufo_scout_engines_1, ufo/ufo_fighter/ufo_fighter_engine_1;
- aircraft/ufo_fighter/ufo_fighter_engine_2;
- aircraft/ufo_supply/ufo_supply_engine_(left|right)

Attaching some screens of how they look in ufopedia together with patches to actually put them there. (No fitting done for the aircraft equip menu.)

Hoehrer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:52:33 pm »
FYI: Just uploaded images (be patient, upload is still going) of the two models I last added to svn here:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/crafts-and-heavy-equipment/

The models are called craft_item_antim (antimatter - most likely not related to this thread) and craft_item_astro (astrogation - seems to be finished, but needs the correct model-entries in the ufopedia) in svn.

Dunno about the propulsion one - some hints what the current one is are welcome.

EDIT Just had some time to check this ingame. Astrogation actually is finished and shows this model in pedia. Still no idea about propulsion though - will search a bit more in case we already have something int he data_source repo.

Werner
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:15:27 pm by Hoehrer »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 07:29:06 pm »
The models are called craft_item_antim (antimatter - most likely not related to this thread)

Whoa, there, that's not an onboard item, that's the Alien Antimatter Missile by sitters, ammunition for the Alien Launcher. It's not related to the Antimatter research topic. For that we should be using the piece of 2d art that Blywulf created back when.

Dunno about the propulsion one - some hints what the current one is are welcome.

I don't know what's currently in-game for Propulsion, but I always intended to use a single Scout engine model for it.

Also, Alien Propulsion does not fit directly onto PHALANX craft (would be a BIT odd) so if it does then it needs to be changed.

Regards,
Winter

Hoehrer

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 08:07:04 pm »
Whoa, there, that's not an onboard item, that's the Alien Antimatter Missile by sitters, ammunition for the Alien Launcher. It's not related to the Antimatter research topic. For that we should be using the piece of 2d art that Blywulf created back when.
I already wondered how this fits in with the rest of the crafts/ufos/ufo-equip stuff :)
I'll make sure the name of the model reflects this.
EDIT: done

I don't know what's currently in-game for Propulsion, but I always intended to use a single Scout engine model for it.
Ok, no problem, I'll change that
EDIT: done

Also, Alien Propulsion does not fit directly onto PHALANX craft (would be a BIT odd) so if it does then it needs to be changed.
Hm, I'm not much involved with aircraft equipment code - gotta ask Kracken here

Werner
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:04:45 pm by Hoehrer »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:00:46 pm »
Shouldn't the missiles be craft_ammo instead of craft_weapon?

Regards,
Winter

Hoehrer

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:16:57 pm »
Shouldn't the missiles be craft_ammo instead of craft_weapon?
Hm, I can do that change quite fast - but right now we did the same naming style for all the other craft weapons/missiles/ammo as well (i.e. sparrowhawk and tr20).

Not that anybody ever sees it anyway ;) Most of the details is in the .ufo files, in theory we could even remove the this part of all the names and just use a generic "craftitem".

Oh btw: is there an actual model for the Alien Launcher in the works as well (any maybe different types of alien/human missiles)?

Werner

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:04 pm »
Hm, I can do that change quite fast - but right now we did the same naming style for all the other craft weapons/missiles/ammo as well (i.e. sparrowhawk and tr20).

Yes, the launchers are all called craft_weapon. The ammo, such as the rockets for the TR-20 pod and the missiles for the Sparrowhawk rack should be referred to as craft_ammo.

Oh btw: is there an actual model for the Alien Launcher in the works as well (any maybe different types of alien/human missiles)?

sitters has already made one, I'm not sure he finished the other one I requested, will have to check.

Regards,
Winter

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:36:24 pm »

This is fixed now: Alien Propulsion cannot be installed on PHALANX aircraft.
Currently, craft_alien_detection, craft_alien_propulsion, craft_alien_astrogation cannot be installed in PHALANX aircraft. Is that OK ?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:59:50 pm »
This is fixed now: Alien Propulsion cannot be installed on PHALANX aircraft.
Currently, craft_alien_detection, craft_alien_propulsion, craft_alien_astrogation cannot be installed in PHALANX aircraft. Is that OK ?

That's good for now, although we'll probably want to change Alien Detection and Alien Astrogation back later on.

Regards,
Winter