project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Doors that open & close  (Read 3079 times)

HaJo

Doors that open & close
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:13:49 am »
Currently, all doors on the maps are missing or fixed in the open position.

I have seen mapping-tutorial about building moveable doors.

Is it a limitation of our current 3d-engine, or 'just' work to be done ?

The soldiers would also need a command / click to open a door next to him...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Doors that open & close
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:16:34 am »
these features were stripped from the current queke2 engine fork - but i think they can be reimplemented as well (like lifts and so on) - but you are right - my suggestion would be an icon over the door if a soldier stands next to a door.

but this has currently very low priority.well - if someone has a patch - submit it :-D - if someone wants to do this the q2 engine has door support func_door - func_door_rotating, and so on.

Offline Johnar

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Doors that open & close
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:08:56 am »
I see that more than a year has passed, so I was wondering are there any attempts to implement doors?
I'm wondering because if doors ever get implemented are you going to redesign all maps to include them otherwise it would look weird if some maps have real doors and others don't.

My personal opinion is that doors should have been implemented from the start as they are strategic element that affects both gameplay and computer AI. Taking a stand that doors are impossible in Quake2 engine which is clearly wrong as all Q2 engine games have doors (and different types too) is mistake, IMHO. Other than that this is a very good project and I know that a lot of hard work was put into it and all for free so don't think that I don't appreciate that.

Keep up the good work.  ;)

Punkiee

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:47:21 am »
A door can be a very important strategic element. Open door tell you something. Opening doors can be hared and are a major disturbance in the field of view that should effect reaction fire.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:11:05 pm »
Taking a stand that doors are impossible in Quake2 engine which is clearly wrong as all Q2 engine games have doors (and different types too) is mistake.

who said that?