project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: GUI Attempt  (Read 18500 times)

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:19:57 pm »
Hi guys, I was playing around with the GUI a bit.  I haven't made an interface for a game before so I thought I'd give it a shot. I think I could make it look a bit better if the GUI was alpha-channel enabled. Please give crits and suggestions, since I have no idea if I'm the right track or not  :wink:

Thanks.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: GUI Attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:43:09 pm »
Quote from: "RaXaR"
Hi guys, I was playing around with the GUI a bit.  I haven't made an interface for a game before so I thought I'd give it a shot. I think I could make it look a bit better if the GUI was alpha-channel enabled. Please give crits and suggestions, since I have no idea if I'm the right track or not  :wink:

Thanks.

It looks impressive, but I don't like how the green glow follows the exact contours of the metal bracket. The glow should be forming a straight-edged rectangle around the menu options.

I'm also not too keen on the ships in the background, they clearly don't resemble any of ours. I'm not sure about the blue 'UFO' text, I can't decide whether I like it or not.

That's about all I've got right now.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
GUI Attempt
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 09:09:49 pm »
you are on the right way imo - but as winter said already: the shop doesn't fit - the menu looks ok, but not super - the same opinion as winter here - all in all i like the design

alphachannels can always be simulated like we did that in the current menus where the globe in the background shines through

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:20:04 pm »
Thanks for the response Winter/Mattn, I will keep at it. I'm aware that the Ships don't fit, but I couldn't find any concept images on the forums (albeit I didn't look very long). So if you have some reference for me I'm sure I could make it fit. Also, I tried simulating transparency, but it messed up on other menus since I'm using a different backdrop for almost each menu and the buttons aren't all in the same position. I would like to try my hand at texturing any models that needs Texturing, but I don't know if this is the right spot to place this question.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:20:43 pm »
That font is slightly different from the one the game uses, isn't it? I think it's better than the logo you can see in the top left of this forum.

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:32:48 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
That font is slightly different from the one the game uses, isn't it?

Hi BTAxis, it's the same font just in a different case.  I was tinkering a bit today, and this is what I came up with. The image is from Photoshop this time 'cause I couldn't get transparency to look right in-game. I used the MD2 model of the UFO Fighter model. I have to say who ever made the model did a very nice job :wink:.
Here's my latest attempt and please let me know if I'm getting warmer or colder , thx. :D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:27:40 pm »
I like it. That swarm of UFOs looks really menacing.

'Course, that's really not how it works in the actual game, but the image is impressive.

The menu is a lot better too. If you can get it to look like that ingame, it would be great.

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:55:09 pm »
I like it. That swarm of UFOs looks really meancing.
'Course, that's really not how it works in the actual game, but the image is impressive.The menu is a lot better too. If you can get it to look like that ingame, it would be great.

Coolness  :)  I'm glad you like it.  I would be happy to make the ingame GUI use a similar color scheme, but I'm' going to wait until the GUI supports alpha-transparency.  Round about the same time I'll also make the majority of the sources available. Also, is there an easy way to modify just the GUI layout?

Wanderer

GUI Attempt
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 09:05:44 pm »
OMFG.  I saw that image and my first impression was ZERG SWARM!  Sick, nasty, evil... wow. :)  (Pretty, btw)

I really like the menu look you've got there.  The single green beam sets it off nicely like a holographic display.  

The swarm might be a bit... overwhelming though.  I see that and expect to be playing a high speed, high impact RTS style game.  It'd be a cool screen if the intention is to keep going along the concept of 'campaign steps' instead of switching to the new model.  When the aliens finally do start invading heavily, that'd be a beautiful background... and the gameplay style has already been imprinted into the player so there's no misleading.  

Although after the gameplay style is imprinted, that would probably induce some serious fear. *gig* *giggle* *chuckle* *Maniacal Laugh*.

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 09:28:03 pm »
Hehe, thx for the complements Wanderer, I have to agree, there is maybe too many ships, I was chasing the "Invasion" bit there.  UFO:AI is welcome to use the backdrop where they see fit. I am also eager for any alternative ideas for the Menu Backdrops etc. Laters.   :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:34:35 pm »
One idea I would like to offer is putting a number of carrier UFOs (say, ten in total, at various distances from the viewer) there, busy unloading their passenger UFOs. It probably wouldn't look as overwhelming as this, but there'd still be enough ships to justify the word "invasion".

I don't think we have carrier models yet, though.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
GUI Attempt
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:45:05 pm »
One idea I would like to offer is putting a number of carrier UFOs (say, ten in total, at various distances from the viewer) there, busy unloading their passenger UFOs. It probably wouldn't look as overwhelming as this, but there'd still be enough ships to justify the word "invasion".

I don't think we have carrier models yet, though.

I fully support this idea. Each Carrier has quite a number of UFOs, and we now have a Harvester UFO model as well (thanks to hoehrer!) that can be used in the shot. The Scout UFO is available as well to provide some extra variety.

I really like the actual interface you've come up with on the second shot, it feels much more open and spacious than the current one, using and even enhancing the background image rather than concealing it. The only things that still niggle at me are the background and the blue 'UFO'. Maybe you could give us some example shots of what it would look like in other common colours as well as the standard green, and then we could make a decision. (I have a feeling it would look good in red, but I could be wrong.)

It's almost like architecture, really -- you've got the same amount of space, it's just how you use it.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
GUI Attempt
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 10:03:55 pm »
I like the image, too

Coolness  :)  I'm glad you like it.  I would be happy to make the ingame GUI use a similar color scheme, but I'm' going to wait until the GUI supports alpha-transparency.  Round about the same time I'll also make the majority of the sources available. Also, is there an easy way to modify just the GUI layout?

have a look at the ufo script files and read the wiki article about our menu scripts: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/UFO-Scripts/menu_%2A.ufo

i still don't really know why you need real alpha tranparency. Why not just fake it as we're doing it, too at the moment. Can you give me an example where you really need it?

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 10:07:53 pm »
One idea I would like to offer is putting a number of carrier UFOs (say, ten in total, at various distances from the viewer) there, busy unloading their passenger UFOs. It probably wouldn't look as overwhelming as this, but there'd still be enough ships to justify the word "invasion".I don't think we have carrier models yet, though.

Cool, I'll start playing around with concepts for a carrier ship, be warned though, my texturing skills are extremely crappy :D

Quote from: "Winter"
I fully support this idea. Each Carrier has quite a number of UFOs, and we now have a Harvester UFO model as well (thanks to hoehrer!) that can be used in the shot. The Scout UFO is available as well to provide some extra variety.  really like the actual interface you've come up with on the second shot, it feels much more open and spacious than the current one, using and even enhancing the background image rather than concealing it. The only things that still niggle at me are the background and the blue 'UFO'. Maybe you could give us some example shots of what it would look like in other common colours as well as the standard green, and then we could make a decision. (I have a feeling it would look good in red, but I could be wrong.) It's almost like architecture, really -- you've got the same amount of space, it's just how you use it.

Thx for the thumbs up Winter, I'll get to work on these ideas for multiple ships and carriers, I'll also post some color variations of the "UFO" ... Red does sound interesting.

Laters :)

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI Attempt
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 10:23:41 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
I like the image, too

have a look at the ufo script files and read the wiki article about our menu scripts: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/UFO-Scripts/menu_%2A.ufo

i still don't really know why you need real alpha tranparency. Why not just fake it as we're doing it, too at the moment. Can you give me an example where you really need it?

Glad you like it Mattn, I'll take a look at the menu scripts, thx.  One place where I'll definitely need it, is in game (during missions), for the GUI to not clutter your view  or "be in the way", transparency is very good. Then there is also the possibility of animating the menus a little bit (simple left/right/up/down movements). Another reason is that the layout I'm envisioning will not have the buttons sit in the same position on each menu node, and  there will be more variety to the background images.  Therefore it means that I'll have to create separate images for each and every button, this eventually leads to larger file sizes, difficult large scale GUI reworks etc.
I know there are more pressing matters that is requiring the coder's attention, the transparency isn't urgent right now, there's still a lot of work to be done to complete the GUI.  Please don't see it as me demanding anything, although I think I am being a little persistent  :wink: