project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Is this game completable?  (Read 3953 times)

bob9000

Is this game completable?
« on: April 15, 2007, 01:03:55 pm »
Hi. First off, love the game, it takes me right back to the original UFO and how much fun I had playing it waaaay back when. In fact, it's so true to the original I've been following my usual strategy and it's been working perfectly.

However, I seem to have hit a wall in terms of game progress. I've done a bit of digging around in the wiki, and apparently if you have research The Alien Mind, which I have, and have at least 10 live aliens in containment, which I also have, (in the same base too, in case thats important), some more things should become available. Well, they don't.

Likewise, I have UFO hangars built, both large and small, and after I secure a landing site, I don't get no alien ufo.

This means i can't research any further with the aliens, or with their ships. So I'm kinda screwed.

Now if this stuff just isn't implemented yet, then that's cool, I'm down with that. But does that mean you can't actually get that far in the game? Has anyone actually researched alien ufo's and/or found out where they're coming from or anything like that? And if so, what did you do to get there.

Oh and finally, sometimes i get javascript errors when a squad lands at a mission, (I'm running this in Windows XP, cos I'm too lazy to boot into Linux to run it, go figure). It only ever happens when a squad from one particular base lands at a missions, I get some Javascript error and have to select abort, and then re-load the game. I dunno if anyone else has had this.

Whooo...I'll stop talking now. BTW, I really do love this game, this post is not meant to be a load of bitching, I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

Rock On

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game completable?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:24:47 pm »
Quote from: "bob9000"
However, I seem to have hit a wall in terms of game progress. I've done a bit of digging around in the wiki, and apparently if you have research The Alien Mind, which I have, and have at least 10 live aliens in containment, which I also have, (in the same base too, in case thats important), some more things should become available. Well, they don't.

Please elaborate a bit on this. As far as I know, you need only 3 live aliens in Alien Containment as well as Live Alien research topic to be able to research Alien Mind. Then if you have 10 alive aliens in Alien Containment as well as Alien Mind, you should be able to research Odd Behaviour. Doesn't that work for you?

Likewise, I have UFO hangars built, both large and small, and after I secure a landing site, I don't get no alien ufo.

That is not implemented yet, but considering the fact, that I have most of the code about handling UFOs done, it should go to 2.2.

Oh and finally, sometimes i get javascript errors when a squad lands at a mission, (I'm running this in Windows XP, cos I'm too lazy to boot into Linux to run it, go figure). It only ever happens when a squad from one particular base lands at a I get some Javascript error and have to select abort, and then re-load tmissions, he game. I dunno if anyone else has had this.

Javascript errors?! You mean, assertion errors? Can you bring the exact information about such assertion errors? There should be at least filename in that, number of line and exact expression (for example: cl_team.c:588 expression: (cp)). If you mean something other, please elaborate.

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game completable?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:47:50 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"
Then if you have 10 alive aliens in Alien Containment as well as Alien Mind, you should be able to research Odd Behaviour.

That's strange, I managed to research Odd Behaviour without having 10 live Aliens in my containment. I only ever had 3 max! I think I even only needed 1 live alien to research Alien Mind, but my memory is a bit hazy and I could be telling lies.

bob9000

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:34:19 pm »
first up, those assertion errors...yes, I shouldve posted it in the bug forum, it was late and I wasn't thinking. It has already been covered in the bug forum and I added my two cents there. sorry.

As for alien research, actually I had the same as Voller, I only had one alien in captivity when I was able to research Alien Mind. I just went with it, but possibly that code isn't quite right. I was able to research Live Alien, and then Alien Mind straight after it, which made it kind of silly because here's these reports saying 'when there is more than one alien they get smarter' meanwhile there was only one alien. Possibly the fact that I researched Alien Mind when I only had one alien screwed the game up in terms of what was actually being researched? I don't know, but I think that regardless of whats happening in my particular game, that bit of code needs looking at.

So, am I right in thinking that if the alien ufo research isn't implemented yet, I can't go into space and therefore can't complete the game as it is in version 2.1? I won't mind if this is the case, I'd just like to know.

Oh yeah, and are there Alien bases on Earth like in the original UFO? I haven't come across any yet.

Thanks for listening to me warble on....

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 12:01:41 am »
As for alien research, actually I had the same as Voller, I only had one alien in captivity when I was able to research Alien Mind. I just went with it, but possibly that code isn't quite right.

Yes, most probably. Thanks for that report. Luckily I know exactly where to search such bug.
So, am I right in thinking that if the alien ufo research isn't implemented yet, I can't go into space and therefore can't complete the game as it is in version 2.1? I won't mind if this is the case, I'd just like to know.

Yes, you are right.
Oh yeah, and are there Alien bases on Earth like in the original UFO?

Yes, there are no Alien bases on Earth yet. I hope someone will plant one with nice patch.

bob9000

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:13:10 am »
cool. thankyou for your prompt replies. I'd help with the patches but I have one of those annoying brains that only really works on the right side rather than the left, so I just can't seem to get my head around coding. But not for lack of trying.

Anyway, thankyou, and I look forward to later versions of the game.

Rock On