project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Greetings :D  (Read 3251 times)

cyghost2

Greetings :D
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:30:17 pm »
Hello Everyone.

First of all let me congratulate you all on a superb idea and a wonderful game. It brought back the memories and it looks amazing. Job very well done.

The following are some observations I would like to make. Some you may be aware off and other you may well have addressed already. If so, please forgive me.

1. One can only rename the soldiers in one's primary base.

2. The option to rename the transport vehicles would be swell as well

3 "i" as key bind for inventory on the combat maps. (perhaps the final version will have the ability to change key mappings? It seems fine as it is though)

2. The camera option to see from the view of the soldiers is absolutely amazing. Any way to actually switch from 3rd person into a FPS 1st person perspective? i.e. actually moving the men with movement keys and mouse looking while TU's run out? and shooting with reticule on target with game engine still calculating hits and misses the same way? Just a thought, if this is impossible or too hard or simply not on the agenda ignore my wishful rumblings.

3. Intercepting an alien UFO and shooting it down is currently very boring. I assume this will change?

4. When aliens attacked my base, there were two labs that my men couldn't go in even though it had a clear entrance and exit. I cold get in from the other side but there was no thoroughfare. From the baseview perspective the top left hand part of the labs. Also the men insisted on taking funny paths around the labs. Is this a known issue or do I have to explain it better?

5. From the main base view menu there should be a shortcut straight to soldiers and their inventories. Currently one has to go through the airplane menu to get there.

6. The reaction shooting works great. I remember how annoying it was to have to do it every round in the UFO titles and being damned if one forgots. Wouldn’t it be possible to have this as default and take it off if the need or want arise? My men are always ready with reaction shots and seemed to kill aliens far easier this way than actually controlling the shots 

Downloading vs 2.1 as we speak and looking forward to run through that. I love this so much I can just play random maps over and over but it should be WOW with a story in place!!

Awesome job guys and please keep it up.

ps my first account I never got the registration activation - so I have this 2 behind my name. Any possible way it can be removed? The previous "cyghost" account is mine as well. If too much hassle then don't bother. Thx

inquisiteur2

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:03:29 pm »
First of all welcome. Below a few answers to your questions.

In former release it was possible to switch to FPS view, maybe it is still functionnal, but I have forgot how to do that.....

It seems that soldiers cant be anymore renamed, maybe it is a regression introduced by the new release.

Interception mode is far from being completed, most of the work has been done on the tactical side, which is a wise decision. You can play multiplayer games with friends, you will like it.

Regarding your account name, I doubt someone there has enough time to fix that, let them code instead !

Regards.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings :D
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:16:19 pm »
Quote from: "cyghost2"
1. One can only rename the soldiers in one's primary base.

What do you mean? You cannot rename soldiers which are hired in other bases than first one or your cannot rename soldiers from point other than primary base?
2. The camera option to see from the view of the soldiers is absolutely amazing. Any way to actually switch from 3rd person into a FPS 1st person perspective?

I am not sure if I understand your question, but one can switch between FPP and TPP view by pressing 'v' key.
3. Intercepting an alien UFO and shooting it down is currently very boring. I assume this will change?

Yes, this is just not yet implemented.
4. When aliens attacked my base, there were two labs that my men couldn't go in even though it had a clear entrance and exit. I cold get in from the other side but there was no thoroughfare.

Altough your description is good, a screenshot for that would be even better. Is it possible?
5. From the main base view menu there should be a shortcut straight to soldiers and their inventories. Currently one has to go through the airplane menu to get there.

Yes, I agree. We have plans to rewrite and reorganize equipement and soldiers assigning stuff, it's on our TODO/General list at wiki.

cyghost2

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:40:54 pm »
Just been playing and its awesome!! Man, this game rawks!

In 2.1 I can not rename my soldiers at all so my point thereupon seems moot.

Going into "v" camera mode is crazy kewl - but i want more. I want to move my little soldiers from that mode and not with the box - ie If I press 'w' the man runs forward and TU's go down. Spot an alien, get x-hair over him and press mouse 1 - accuracy worked out by game engine, maybe with mouse look like a real FPS  :D This is mostly wishful thinking on my part, so please ignore. :P

I'll try to get a screen shot of the lab when I have some spare time (Easter weekend and all maybe only next week)

Agreed on the account name we are, inquisiteur2 (he he your 2 is for the same reason?) and thx for the welcome. Code away please, this is fantabulous!

Some thoughts on 2.1

[if I am doing this in the wrong forum please point me to the right one thx]

1.   Ability to rename troopers is gone! Oh noes! But the “dropship” changed to a better name. Firebird for teh win!

2.   The new fire mode is great! I still think that that, along with reaction fire should be set at the base on the soldier screen as well.

3.   In the buy/sell menu the arrows should be able to run up or down automatically, single clicking only gets tedious.

4.   Is it possible that when a soldier gets hit or is firing reactively, to actually jump to his / her specs? It would give a feeling of being more part of the action.

5.      I was able to hire new workers / scientists before the new living space that was needed was built.

6.      When a mission starts the wording is a bit strange. The "what to do?" part should be ignored and it should just say "Arrived at destination." or something like that with a "proceed with mission" and "cancel mission" options?

These are not criticisms - you guys are doing a WONDERFUL job and I am loving every second of it

Thx for that

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:36:40 am »
In 2.1 I can not rename my soldiers at all so my point thereupon seems moot.

Even in Hire Menu?

2.   The new fire mode is great! I still think that that, along with reaction fire should be set at the base on the soldier screen as well.

Maybe. We have plans to prepare new equip/assign menu, directly in base (not through aircraft menu). I will think about it.

3.   In the buy/sell menu the arrows should be able to run up or down automatically, single clicking only gets tedious.

Yes. Send us a patch with nice and working scrollbar code. :)

4.   Is it possible that when a soldier gets hit or is firing reactively, to actually jump to his / her specs? It would give a feeling of being more part of the action.

Currently not, but I think this feature could be implemented. Please go to our sourceforge tracker and fill in Feature Request.

5.      I was able to hire new workers / scientists before the new living space that was needed was built.

Please, elaborate a bit about that - the cirsumstances?

cyghost2

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 03:42:46 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"

Even in Hire Menu?

Yes. I simply cannot rename anywhere.

Maybe. We have plans to prepare new equip/assign menu, directly in base (not through aircraft menu). I will think about it.

sweet   :P

Yes. Send us a patch with nice and working scrollbar code. :)

eeeeeeeek  :?   I wish m8 - no coder am I. I have to rely on you fabulous coders for these kind of things *sigh*  How I wish I could code,

Currently not, but I think this feature could be implemented. Please go to our sourceforge tracker and fill in Feature Request.

Heading over there. Thx. Will put my recommendations there from now on.

Please, elaborate a bit about that - the cirsumstances?

I wanted to hire workers at a new base. Got a message that there is not enough enough living quarters. So I build a living quarters and then went back to hiring and managed to hire the workers and soldiers before the living quarters were build (takes 4 or 5 days to build if I recall it right) So just the idea that I am building quarters suddenly allowed for me to hire new people.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 04:53:35 pm »
Yes. I simply cannot rename anywhere.

Thanks for that report. I will look into it (currently wondering if it is worth to look at it or just code such functionality in new equip menu)
I wanted to hire workers at a new base. Got a message that there is not enough enough living quarters. So I build a living quarters and then went back to hiring and managed to hire the workers and soldiers before the living quarters were build (takes 4 or 5 days to build if I recall it right) So just the idea that I am building quarters suddenly allowed for me to hire new people.

OK. I already managed to fix that during my work on base facilities limits, however some of patches are not commited yet. Thanks for that report, base facilities limits will be available in 2.2.