project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Problems with the Texts (in Ufopaedia)  (Read 5946 times)

Eemeli

Problems with the Texts (in Ufopaedia)
« on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:03 pm »
As the main task in 2.1, the UFOpaedia has been filled and expanded with hundreds of new and detailed texts containing full equipment descriptions, the history of the world since 2007, more information about the start of the invasion, and tons of other background flavour.

Meanwhile this is what I get. Also the intro is great fun.

The things aren't supposed to work like that, right? How can they be fixed?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Problems with the Texts (in Ufopaedia)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:58:12 pm »
Quote from: "Eemeli"
As the main task in 2.1, the UFOpaedia has been filled and expanded with hundreds of new and detailed texts containing full equipment descriptions, the history of the world since 2007, more information about the start of the invasion, and tons of other background flavour.

Meanwhile this is what I get. Also the intro is great fun.

The things aren't supposed to work like that, right? How can they be fixed?

Hum, no, it's definitely not supposed to work like that. Have you tried reinstalling? Possibly your po file got screwed up.

Regards,
Winter

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 05:33:49 pm »
It may be because you use a language which has a unfinished translation.

You should try to force the language to english (see post 'changing language') :
http://ufoai.ninex.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1234

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:44:15 pm »
I believe it is not possible to get such "unfinished" effect if only proper text exist in proper language files. What does that mean? That means you use language which doesn't have this articles translated (as Kracken said). Which language is it?

Eemeli

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:10:33 pm »
Thanks a lot for the help. I never had actually tried to change the language and chose English at first, so I have no idea where the problems came from.

Quote from: "kracken"
It may be because you use a language which has a unfinished translation.

You should try to force the language to english (see post 'changing language') :
http://ufoai.ninex.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1234

I checked that:

Quote from: "Mattn"
are you playing with windows?

open the game console (^-key or shift+esc) and type "s_language en"

or.. copy the file base/i18n/en/LC_MESSAGES/ufoai.mo to base/i18n/it/LC_MESSAGES/ufoai.mo

It wasn't able to change the language through game console but copying the file helped and now the game works properly.

Cheers.  :)

ak

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:17:35 pm »
hi!

I have the same problem here, under linux, ufo:ai version 2.1. these screenshots describe precisely what I get...
my system's default language is spanish. i've tried copying and pasting the english  ufoai.mo to both  /base/i18n/es and es_ES, no result.

I can't start the game with "LANG=<whatever>; ./ufo", the answer is always "there's no such  file or directory "  (I don't really know how to input this; I've tried with and without quote marks and brackets, no result)
but, in fact, "./ufo" does not start the game in my computer
LANG=en; ufoai starts the game, but doesn't change anything.

any help?

thanks!

edit: I have reinstalled, also tried "ufoai +set s_language en_US",  "ufoai +set s_language en", the answer is always the same:
...could not set to language: <whatever>

maybe somehow I don't have the language packs properly installed, even if the ufoai.mo files exist?

the tutorials seem to work alright, always in english

Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:34:16 pm »
Thanks for the help guys. I actually fixed it by reinstalling the game, how original. I didn't do anything differently, but seems like there went something wrong at the first time, obviously. After reinstalling, I ran "s_language en" and it accepted it.

Eemeli

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:42:13 pm »
Quote from: "ak"
hi!

I have the same problem here, under linux, ufo:ai version 2.1. these screenshots describe precisely what I get...
my system's default language is spanish. i've tried copying and pasting the english  ufoai.mo to both  /base/i18n/es and es_ES, no result.

I suppose the game tries to run with the language of the operating system. When you copy the ufoai.mo from the 'en' folder, remember to copy it to xx/LC_MESSAGES/. While installing on another computer with default Finnish language, creating a fi/LC_MESSAGES folder and pasting the file there helped.

ak

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:55:04 am »
Quote from: "Eemeli"
When you copy the ufoai.mo from the 'en' folder, remember to copy it to xx/LC_MESSAGES/

yes, I've done this...

also tried "sudo" with everything, then tried changing the ownership of the files.
then tried building from source. also the latest SVN. no luck.

In the "old RC6 times" :) everything was fine.

I've noticed that right after the installation, when running the game,  one of the messages says "...using language: C". I've tried to edit the config.cfg file, now it says "...could not set to language: en".

I'm running an ubuntu feisty right now, but I had the same problem in edgy.

EDIT: I noticed that under windows the spanish text files are all translated... somehow in my linux the game cannot load the text files, no matter the language!  

it makes me sad, for this is one of the best linux games ever.

I'm sure somebody will come up with a solution for my problem ;)

ak

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:08:48 am »
somehow, the problem is solved.

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 11:48:40 am »
Speaking of texts: I have noticed that some of the texts in the ufopedia are somehow cut off at the end. The ufopedia entry just ends in the middle of nowhere. I have the German version 2.1.

Anybody else have the same problem?

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:37 pm »
Quote from: "Voller"
Speaking of texts: I have noticed that some of the texts in the ufopedia are somehow cut off at the end. The ufopedia entry just ends in the middle of nowhere. I have the German version 2.1.

Anybody else have the same problem?

Yes, if it only happens in the email texts, this bug has been corrected in the trunk. (and should be as well in the 2.1.1)

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 12:54:53 pm »
ah, ok thanks :)

FaceLeg

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 12:28:10 am »
I have this problem also.  

Running Ubuntu Linux 6.10 - I have tried all the suggested fixes I have been able to find - copying the file, changing my system language, changing the language in the config.cfg file, changing the language in-game, and using LANG=en at startup.  Oh, and I have reinstalled it a number of times...

:(

I want to be able to read the Ufopedia!

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

EDIT:

If I double-click on the "ufo" excecutable located here:

/usr/local/games/ufoai/ufo

everything works properly.

I don't know why this works, and I don't care because now I CAN READ THE UFOPEDIA! WOO!

This game is awesome!  Thanks to all who had a part in it!

Now I'm off to sleep (having spent the entire night trying to get the ufopedia going).