project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: regarding gatling/minigun  (Read 59911 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: regarding gatling/minigun
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 11:30:53 pm »
I humbly propose that all six barrels have bayonet fixtures.  Just imagine what this baby would do in hand to hand!

Oh, wait, wrong thread.  Sorry!   ;D ;)

Ha!

Regards,
Winter

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 07:19:25 pm »
winter i read your post and understand where you are coming from however, i have one issue to address with it.. this response here

2. Infantry rocket launchers have been used for years and have a clearly defined purpose as mobile artillery and anti-armour weaponry. The aliens already have armoured robots and will be having more when the game is finished. With incendiary rockets the launcher is even useful as an area denial weapon. It adds something to gameplay, and is entirely plausible. I wouldn't mind seeing it remodelled to something more modern and less arsing huge, but its presence makes sense.

using a rocket launcher or even a minigun against persons is against the geneva conventions.. including a minigun.. which is why i said you shoot at the wall not at the guy behind it... to us it seems like wasting ammo.. to a general its the difference between a warcrime and war....

As someone highly more experienced in using weaponry than you are Im almost 100% sure of that.. i will say several times i have seen soldiers use 1000 rounds of 50 calibre (much larger than what is in a standard minigun) to shoot the crap out of concrete walls for minutes (no more than 15 second bursts dont want to melt the barrel) until the wall was completely destroyed and all the enemies behind it dead (what was left of them)

WHY?  Because according to geneva conventions its a war crime to shoot at a person with a weapon that heavy.. however.. shooting at the wall is perfectly legitimate... is it efficient hell no.. but its legal according to the articles of war.

My whole issue was that a rocket launcher is a silly weapon to have in ufo:ai because it serves no purpose with the sole exception of shooting alien MWP like the flying discs from xcom.. (which i always used heavy plasma against making the rocket launcher nill again) 

Im only stating i see no purpose to code a rocket launcher.. that was all.. you guys are spot on and im humbled by the expertise in the many fields that ufo:ai entails

Please keep up the excellent work
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:22:29 pm by Darkpriest667 »

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 07:43:37 pm »
I have to agree with you according what you say about the Rocket Launcher. At the moment it is pretty useless, but I hope that in the future Enemies apper, that have a size of 56x56 (according to the Actor size of 24x24) being well armoured and hopefully quite easy to hit ;) Or think about very small enemys appearing in huge numbers, like ants or beetles.

Here I have to admit that the "bloodspiders" dont look like dangerous spiders spitting their venom over the map (or something like that  ::)) I would recommend (if possible) to make them smaller (around 8x8) but Increase the number of them by a factor of ~4. But I guess this would result in problems with pathfinding and awful long alien rounds.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:52 pm »
Rocket launcher needs reactive fire. Any aliens coming trough the door would REPENT.

Also, maybe a bit more range and accuracy?

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »
Speaking of rocket launcher - is it me, or they do remarkably little damage to walls and terraini in general?  If I could blow wholes in building and saturate hiding spots with rocket fire, I would dramatically change my tactic, at least in early stages.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 08:57:27 pm »
winter i read your post and understand where you are coming from however, i have one issue to address with it.. this response here

using a rocket launcher or even a minigun against persons is against the geneva conventions.. including a minigun.. which is why i said you shoot at the wall not at the guy behind it... to us it seems like wasting ammo.. to a general its the difference between a warcrime and war....

As someone highly more experienced in using weaponry than you are Im almost 100% sure of that.. i will say several times i have seen soldiers use 1000 rounds of 50 calibre (much larger than what is in a standard minigun) to shoot the crap out of concrete walls for minutes (no more than 15 second bursts dont want to melt the barrel) until the wall was completely destroyed and all the enemies behind it dead (what was left of them)

WHY?  Because according to geneva conventions its a war crime to shoot at a person with a weapon that heavy.. however.. shooting at the wall is perfectly legitimate... is it efficient hell no.. but its legal according to the articles of war.

My whole issue was that a rocket launcher is a silly weapon to have in ufo:ai because it serves no purpose with the sole exception of shooting alien MWP like the flying discs from xcom.. (which i always used heavy plasma against making the rocket launcher nill again) 

Im only stating i see no purpose to code a rocket launcher.. that was all.. you guys are spot on and im humbled by the expertise in the many fields that ufo:ai entails

. . . You know, I don't think the Geneva convention applies to alien invaders whose sole aim is to butcher and enslave the human race.

I wish there was an 'absolutely flabbergasted' smiley I could use at this point.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 09:16:16 pm »
.... winter... you might want to read it brother... foreign invaders can be construed or understood to mean alien invaders.. :D  sorry i just like you i cant help it...

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:24 pm »
Ummm.  hate to point it out...  Geneva convention got effed when we reasearched gas grenades.  Maybe they qualify as "non-lethal", but it is pretty well against the spirit.  I think there was mention of experimenting on a living alien, too. 

The aliens appear hell-bent on genocide, so ethically -  they should not be covered by a convention that they violate.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 10:58:50 pm »
that makes me happy and somewhat disturbed at the same time :D i think this topic can be closed winter :D

btw i never signed nor supported the geneva conventions

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 11:51:51 pm »
Your overlords did it for you, you minion.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 06:25:22 pm »
Speaking of rocket launcher - is it me, or they do remarkably little damage to walls and terraini in general?

You must be new here, right?  Terrain in the Quake engine is all built from adamantium and will never even be scratched.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »
"Terrain in the Quake engine is all built from adamantium and will never even be scratched." -- Darn

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 04:10:26 am »
cant buildings be damaged? Like in the old XCOM games? Toss a p-nade, blow out the first floor walls, some of the second floor floors. Make other floors completely inaccessible. Great times

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:58:36 am »
No they can't. And no, that isn't going to change.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 11:07:37 am »
Ahh...kill joy! I can only guess as to the reasons (Not in the sarcastic way. Seriously, I can only guess) Then the rocket launcher is useless until there is something either big or small(in large nnumbers as fore mentioned)
The gatling gun, on the other hand. Pure awsomness. Unload near-molten lead, hundreds, or even thousands, of rounds per minute. It makes me giddy and giggle