project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFOAI RC6 - Hard Lock at random times in game.  (Read 2293 times)

p388l3s

UFOAI RC6 - Hard Lock at random times in game.
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:44:26 pm »
Hi

New here found this game last night DL'ed and played for a while until it hard-locked my computer, didn't think much about it last night, tried again today and the hard-locks are more frequent, can be doing anything in-game and get a hard lock and need to restart the computer.

Athlon XP 3200+
ATI x700 GFX (AGP)
Abit motherboard, 1GB ram
More Harddrives than i care to think about.

Running Windows XP.

Checked the log file but obviously it isn't going to show anything due to the hard lock. I will quite happily provide any help necessary to resolve this as this game is well worth the time and effort, congrats on bringing XCom into the 21st Century, this is really something.

Pebbles

ubequitz

UFOAI RC6 - Hard Lock at random times in game.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:54:29 pm »
I've played RC6 quite a bit on a variety of windows boxes and my main linux dev machine and haven't encountered any lockups. Does it happen at random times in the game or only in say the Battlescape?

Either way I highly recommend you run a memory test on your computer (e.g. check out www.memtest.org ) to try and eliminate any possibility of a hardware problem (just in case).

Edit: Also, if you aren't already using them, make sure you grab the latest video drivers for your graphics card from nvidia.com or ati.com

p388l3s

Memory...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:00:59 am »
I know it's not my ram, this machine is my work horse and it does duty running several memory intensive programs, I'd see bad memory problems pretty quickly. ( I'll break out my uBuntu disk and run a memory scan in the AM )

As for drivers, yep just did a re-install a week ago and downloaded the latest drivers at that time, not much on here right now, except basic work stuff and a few freeware games, it's all pretty odd really, this machine runs good for what it is, and I haven't experienced a hard-lock like this in at least a year and a half.

As for your question about when, it first happened when I clicked on the icon to go to the Main Menu ( top right from battlescape ) then it started happening during random points, in the base screen, in the battlescape, and on the geoscape, it's a total freeze up, no chance to get to the taskmanager, can't use the keyboard or mouse, thankfully I have the reset button wired up or I'd be sitting there with my finger on the power button for 4 secs each time. (LAME I know) :wink:

I think I had similar problems to this a couple of years ago and it was related to the gfx library (SDL I think), but that was a different GFX card too.

Well I'll let you know the result of my mem scan but I'm v.sure it'll be a negative. Any other ideas? I'm open to any suggestions.