project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.0 RC6 crashing to desktop under Win2k  (Read 3221 times)

PsyWarrior

2.0 RC6 crashing to desktop under Win2k
« on: January 07, 2007, 08:32:54 pm »
Hello, UFOAI...

I'm back, it's been a while. Internet failures, work and so forth conspired to take me away from here, and UFOAI disappeared into the back of my mind. I found the link to this website and discovered the new 2.0-RC6 waiting to be played...

Unfortunately, after downloading the installer, removing previous versions and installing RC6, I tried to run the program only to encounter a grey screen followed by the standard windows "ufo.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program" error. A look into the log file reveals the following...

Code: [Select]

Winsock Initialized
Console initialized.
FindFile: can't find history
couldn't load history
------- Loading ref_gl.dll -------
ref_gl version: GL 0.12
FindFile: ./base/pics/colormap.pcx
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 6: 1024 768 W
...setting windowed mode
GL PFD: color(32-bits) Z(24-bit)
Desktop resolution: 1680:1050
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce 7900 GTX/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
GL_VERSION: 2.0.3
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture

[...SECTION REMOVED BY PSYWARRIOR for Readability...]

FindFile: ./base/pics/sfx/shadow.tga
FindFile: ./base/pics/sfx/shadow.tga
FindFile: ./base/pics/conchars.pcx
FindFile: ./base/pics/conchars.pcx
...SDL_ttf version 2.0.7 - we need at least 2.0.7
...SDL_ttf inited
------------------------------------
Shader shutdown
------- Loading ref_gl.dll -------
ref_gl version: GL 0.12
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 6: 1024 768 W
...setting windowed mode

That's with +set logfile 2 in the command line. With the default settings (logfile 1?), the output is the same up to "Shader shutdown". It seems like the game tries to load, can't (due to some shader-related video problem), and then tries to restart itself again (from ref_gl.dll onwards). The log just ends after "windowed mode", which is presumably where Windows terminates it.

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, fully patched, with a GeForce 7900 with Forceware version 93.71 at 1680 * 1050 / 60Hz

Using command line switches I've tried +set snd_init 0 and +set vid_fullscreen 0 with no effect. I've also tried jumping directly to a map which had no effect either.

Any advice on how to proceed from here?

BTW: It's looking increasingly good. I had a read through the research sections of the Wiki while downloading, and I really love the proposed storyline and the characters you're developing in the UFOPedia. It would be nice if those characters could be brought into the main part of the game as well (it would be a good touch if some messages ingame, or objectives were relayed to you by your Exec for instance)...

I look forward to actually playing it (soonish :roll: )

Regards,
-PsyWarrior

ubequitz

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:02:45 am »
You may want to check out http://ufo.myexp.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=782 , I hope this helps.

There has been on-going improvements since RC6 so it would be nice to get a new release out soon, but there is still quite a bit more work to do on this front...

PsyWarrior

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:03:04 am »
Most excellent, everything's working correctly now. Thanks for the prompt response, ubequitz!

It's looking good so far, I haven't encountered any further bugs or errors, the battlescape gameplay is pretty much there. Not bad at all, considering that the project is still heavily under development...

-PsyW

Offline peterfarge

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:09:51 am »
I have the same problem. I have also tried the updated Ufo.exe. Now I can start the program. But it crashes sometimes. For example if I click to the menu where I can produce weapons, or If I start a mission and do some turns.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:11:15 pm »
please read the debugging section in our wiki - and please send us a backtrace of your crash. that would really help us to fix the crash