project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Map loading screens  (Read 16446 times)

Adrian Magnus

Map loading screens
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 04:06:43 am »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
As far as I know, loading screens are not related to the maps that are being loaded. As such, they should be generic.

I presume you are speaking of the second loading screen, with the column of text. Because the first one, with the loading bar, is always a screenshot of the map you're about to enter.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Map loading screens
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 08:53:41 pm »
I quite like the image, it's a really sweet contrast and has quite scary implications. We should use it.

Also, the UFOs fly in atmosphere mostly due to sheer engine power. Some larger, more impressive exhaust flames would be good.

Regards,
Winter

Adrian Magnus

Map loading screens
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 01:07:02 am »
I like the image too, but I get the distinct impression the UFOs are too small. Based on what I've seen from the maps the smaller UFOs are about the same size as the Firebird, which is turn about the size of a cargo helicopter. In that picture the UFOs look to be about as large as a family van.

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Map loading screens
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 06:26:56 am »
Okay, the general consensus seems to be that it's 'okay' .. well okay then :)
I pumped up the exhausts a bit and scaled down the textures.  I left more or less the same amount of Fighters as last time and added a Harvester as well.  I think it would be really good if someone could give me a scale reference to a, um, .... human or a car, I dunno?.
Anyway, I hope you guys like. I'll do another in a while. I was thinking of a jungle setting...
Laters.

Adrian Magnus

Map loading screens
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 10:20:44 am »
Quote from: "RaXaR"
I think it would be really good if someone could give me a scale reference to a, um, .... human or a car, I dunno?.

I was using the buildings a reference. By my reckoning, the ships need to be about twice as large as they are now to match the in-game models. Since you're the artist, and a skyscraper is not a very accurate ruler, you do have a bit of leeway. I'd say that the minimum is a 50% increase.

Wanderer

Map loading screens
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 07:04:35 pm »
Quote from: "RaXaR"
I think it would be really good if someone could give me a scale reference to a, um, .... human or a car, I dunno?.

If you play enough, or boot up the game and check out the maps, check out farm08 for a scale on the Scout, and there's a crashed fighter one too (can't remember the name off the top of my head).

Short form: ALL of them are at least a story - story 1/2 tall... so they should at least be as high as an individual window in the building.

The scout is about the length of a short Semi (30-40 feet?).  The fighter is about double that.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
Map loading screens
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18:15 pm »
Quote from: "Adrian Magnus"
I was using the buildings a reference. By my reckoning, the ships need to be about twice as large as they are now to match the in-game models. Since you're the artist, and a skyscraper is not a very accurate ruler, you do have a bit of leeway. I'd say that the minimum is a 50% increase.

I agree. Let's try a 50% increase, and -- if you don't mind the extra work, RaXaR -- 75% and 100% versions as well for comparison. Then we can select the one we like best.

Regards,
Winter

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Map loading screens
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 01:59:15 am »
Sweet no problem, here's 3 versions of the image. I scaled the ship sizes to 150%, 175% and 200%.  Personally I like the the one that's 150% scaled.
Laters :)

150%

175%

200%

zodde

Map loading screens
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 08:46:27 am »
I vote for 200%  :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Map loading screens
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 12:18:50 pm »
150% for me. At 200%, the UFOs begin blotting out the rest of the background.

zodde

Map loading screens
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 01:13:11 pm »
The thing is, when you compare the ships size against the window of the skyscraper.  The ship is about the same height as the "large" windows. The large windows are the ones reflecting each floor in the building.

Such floors are about 2.5-3 meters in height.

The ships scaled to 200% would be about 3 meters height in that screenshot.

I think they look more proportnational (im a swede) than in the other shoots. (150-175).

Wanderer

Map loading screens
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 05:38:48 pm »
I like 200%.  At least it's accurate proportionately, and you can see more detail.  Perhaps pull out a ship or two and thin the invasion down?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Map loading screens
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 09:04:26 pm »
maybe you can also make a small anination of out of? we could use it in our intro - let them fly through the towers and fire at civilians - or something like that

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
Map loading screens
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 09:15:48 pm »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
I like 200%.  At least it's accurate proportionately, and you can see more detail.  Perhaps pull out a ship or two and thin the invasion down?

I, too, favour 200% -- it's got more power to see the UFOs up close and personal, being big and nasty and alien.

If you culled away two or three of the barely-visible Fighters in the background, that would enhance the focus of the image and give it even more punch. Then please upload it to SVN!

Regards,
Winter

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Map loading screens
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 11:27:01 pm »
Here it is, nipped and trimmed :) Thank you guys for your guidance and input.

Quote from: "Mattn"
maybe you can also make a small anination of out of? we could use it in our intro - let them fly through the towers and fire at civilians - or something like that

That's a cool idea, if you guys can pull together a small team of guys that will dedicate some time to animate, then it will rock. If I had to do it by myself then it will take months.  The team could consist of an animator, sound effects guy, modeler and a texture-artist.... maybe a sticky post somewhere titled "Recruiting a Cinematics Team" ? I dunno .. :)