project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Fuel Pod and maybe error in operational range  (Read 30166 times)

Offline Afrerius

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Fuel Pod and maybe error in operational range
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »
Version UFO: AI 2.4 IA-32 Win32 Release 25 Apr 2012
Running on: Windows XP SP3 (Build 2600 120504-1619)

When I installed the fuel pod(s), that airship shows its operational range decrease. I am not sure that this is only errors in text or it has the real effects in game mechanic.

Nokim

Re: Fuel Pod and maybe error in operational range
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:05:47 pm »
Firebird has huge amount of fuel, so adding extra 6 point doesn't make much difference but decreasing cruising speed - does.

IMO, fuel pod as it is now - useless. Interceptors usually have not to fly beyond radar coverage - target will be lost especially with decreased speed. Dropships already have huge operational range and it's actually will be reduced as explained above.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »
Fuel pods are supposed to be removed from 2.4....

-geever

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:55 am »
I can confirm they were still in 2.4 and are in 2.5 snapshot 6th June 2012

edit

the as of Jun 6th might not be the case as though i am sure i installed to a fresh directory it still installed oner the top of my 2.4 install.  must be loosing the plot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:24:54 am by headdie »

Offline Afrerius

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18:43 am »
I just want to notify that there is a bug about fuel pod. I assume this error affect every type of the crafts because I find it in Herakles, first. 

Nokim

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:44:24 am »
Fuel pods are supposed to be removed from 2.4....
Why not just remove speed penalty? In such way it can be used in some cases...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:10:11 am »
Why not just remove speed penalty? In such way it can be used in some cases...

There is at least one more critical bug with Fuel pod: namely it can be equipped on AM based aircraft.

The latest master contain everything we have (including UGV), one day I hope I can fix Fuel pods, but it needs redesign aircraft data structures.

-geever

Offline cevaralien

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:44:24 am »
I´m using fuel pods on Stilettos and it works fine. In fact, it it´s working as supposed. I reduce the stiletto range to 2000 km and increase the cruise speed to 1330 km. I mount only one fuel tank and the range increased to 4000 km, but the speed drop to 1200 km. I change the fuel capacity of the tank to +10 and the drag to -5%. The reason? the %% is the normaly drag of a fuel tank.

Weight is more important, because more of it, you need increase speed or air density (reducing altitude), but the first uses more fuel and the second increase drag.

I don´t know if the game uses a drag and lift ecuations to simulate speed droping, but  with the firebird the decrease of range it´s dramatic. With my mod, i need the fuel tanks because i reduce the craft range for a more realistic game. By the way, lift ecuation is not needed because this is not an air simulator, but it could be possible and easy to use the drag ecuations for a more realistic calculation. The weight implications could be estimated by a percentage.

If you want, i can help with this, but i don´t know how to hardcode the game. I can do the drag ecuations and a estimated ecuation for lift.

I´m talking about 2.5 release.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:46:07 am by cevaralien »