project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: let's play... xenonauts?  (Read 7501 times)

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: let's play... xenonauts?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:24:01 pm »
I lost interesest on this game since i noticed it have no 3D geoscape - this is one must have feature for me in a x-com game.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:51:59 pm »
It´s a pretty game and worth checking it out for everybody who loves X-COM. I am older than twelve, maybe thats why I can´t stand the cartoonish grahics.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
It´s a pretty game and worth checking it out for everybody who loves X-COM. I am older than twelve, maybe thats why I can´t stand the cartoonish grahics.
Havnt something to do with age. Its depends on your taste. ;)

Offline bazzietuk

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »
You can only download a (huge file size) demo from places that lets you play for a short time as it's a soon to be commercial product you have to buy.  That's assuming you can even get the game to work in the first place.  Never ever been able to load the geoscape on my system on the demo I downloaded and the members of their forum weren't much help in resolving the issue either.  Doing an update of all my drivers didn't even help me so gave up on the game in the end.  With no geoscape loading you can't do anything at all and pausing it and resuming results in a game over screen immediately.  Think they've got a long way to go before they can make a viable project to make money off even though they think it's near completion for release.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:44:46 pm »
I lost interesest on this game since i noticed it have no 3D geoscape - this is one must have feature for me in a x-com game.

Eh. I honestly prefer the 2D. Makes pretending I'm looking at a giant screen suspended on a wall somewhere in the HQ easier.
And the demo is awesome enough. Unfortunately, I can't buy it.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:04:01 pm »
haven't tried it, and i'm sure it has its flaws. but there are some interesting things in there, like soldiers vaulting over low walls (although... always vaulting over walls, even when there's a gap right next to it? seriously?)
and deformable terrain, with fences crushed by tanks (complete with noise!) and walls getting blown away by rocket launchers...
and the "old school" x-com alien icon appearing when your soldier sees one, with more and more appearing the more they see... that you can click on to home in onto - I think these aren't bad ideas. And I kinda miss the last one.

oh yeah, and footsteps! :)

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:03 pm »
Well, for a start, it's buggy as holy clusterfucked hell and you have to pay for it.
And one of those ain't leaving. Legally, anyway.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 07:22:31 pm »

Geoscape being 3D or 2D is UTTERLY irrelevant.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »
It looks promising. I love how faithfully they have rebuilt the farm map.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:09:46 am »
Yes, I resent that they are releasing a buggy version and charging for it. That's besides the point.

The point is that they have some rather innovative features in there which might be helpful to incorporate, or improve... ie for every man in the street there is something I can learn from him?

Offline DarkMajor21

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:34:06 pm »
Really looking forward to this! It has some really nice features! Such as dogfights, vehicles, and very well done combat suppression mechanics.  :D