project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: idea for automission / forced play  (Read 5193 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
idea for automission / forced play
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
A couple things talked about pretty much at any time in the forums are why some missions can't be autoplayed, and how tiring it can be playing that umpteenth crash site just when you're anxious to pass a few days to get some new tech, and it's also been talked about how come no one else in the world seems to be fighting the aliens but Phalanx. So, I had this idea...

Replace the option to autoplay with an option to request a national military (of the area) to deal with the alien mission/crash site. There should be a penalty to that nation's happiness, and we could also get a mission report telling how it went, victory having less impact on happiness than defeat. The nation might say "no, we can't fight them, phalanx has to" and this would of course be the equivalent of autoplay being grayed out. Hopefully this would deal with at least some of the talk/questions mentioned in the first paragraph, and I believe the overall sense of realism in the game would be heightened. I can't code myself but I would imagine this would not be an overtly difficult thing to implement, for one who can code.

What do you think?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: idea for automission / forced play
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:59 pm »
Thats actually a good idea. I like it. So People cant overuse autoresolve and get a penalty for it. *thumbs up*

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »
gets my vote.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
seconded... or thirded

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »

-geever

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18:05 pm »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:05 pm »
It is probably me who should implement it.
And if we change the design on every little complain, we will never finish the game....

-geever

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »

=D

And if we change the design on every little complain, we will never finish the game....

-geever

Um, I didn't see this as reacting on complaints, but rather that some of the complaints would get dealt with while making what I thought would have been an improvement over the current function. But of course if devs say the effort is greater than benefit, then that's all there is to it, like I said I don't write programs so I wouldn't know if making this change would actually be too much work.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55:12 pm »

-geever

No one said, it should be implement right now. I dont care when, just liked the idea. :>

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:15:05 am »
I wouldn't know if making this change would actually be too much work.

Actually non-programmers also think that replacing a renderer engine is not too much work either... Well, they have hell no idea...

-geever

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:22:29 am »
Actually non-programmers also think that replacing a renderer engine is not too much work either... Well, they have hell no idea...

-geever
You just have switch a variable there and a value here - ka ching - whole new engine with the same game status as before. Oh wait... :D

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:50:23 am »

-geever

I'm no programmer but I didn't suggest /that/ ;)

Actually, I have written some short programs... twenty years ago in CBM, I'd like to contribute to the game so what would you like me to code? =)

edit - on a more serious note, my suggestion would include the following changes:
- remove autoplay button from enter combat dialogue
- add "request army troops" option to the dialogue that you get when clicking a mission site
 - if that gets clicked, either run autoplay or display "no way text" if autoplay should not be available
  - after autoplay has run, display an alternative mission report with text "army" instead of "phalanx", grant no loot to phalanx and reduce nation's happiness according to result
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:19:42 am by kurja »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 08:27:47 am »
If you don´t want to spend your time fighting the alien scum on the battlefield, wtf kind of Phalanx commander you are?

Of course the maps need to be improved, this crash site missions are really annoying. But you can use the automission most of the time without any penalties.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:31:20 am by ShipIt »

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:25:05 pm »
Actually non-programmers also think that replacing a renderer engine is not too much work either...
*Cough*Daikatana*cough*

~J

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 12:55:41 am »
If you don´t want to spend your time fighting the alien scum on the battlefield, wtf kind of Phalanx commander you are?

The kind of Phalanx commander whose attention is from time to time required to run and develop a global defense operation instead of personally commanding every single eight man operation ;)