project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Map finished!  (Read 22724 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Map finished!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 09:08:43 am »
Creative Commons License, CC BY 3.0 is no good for us?

yes of course - i modified my post above.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 10:51:29 am »
Creative Commons License, CC BY 3.0 is no good for us?

Legal statement from texturemate:
Every resource provided on texturemate falls under a Creative Commons License, except credit is not required. The stock textures, texture packs, brush packs, and any other resources available for download on this site are completely free and may be used in commercial or non-commercial applications. Credit to texturemate for use of available textures or brushes is appreciated, but not required.

This is good, but it continues like:

These textures may be used in 3D modeling software packages where their appearance is altered, such as Blender, 3DS Max, Solidworks, CAD, or Second Life. They may also be used in scrapbooking applications. The only exception is that they cannot be redistributed commercially in their unedited form. These textures cannot be re-packaged and resold without significant modifications to their appearance. Brush packs may be used to create unique images in Gimp or Adobe Photoshop, but they cannot be redistributed without being significantly edited. Any resource on texturemate may be linked to when sharing information or resources to others.

There are some restrictions in it that aren't compatible with GPL, maybe they're in conflict wit the original CCBY 3.0, but I don't know...

-geever

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »
Please do not use non-power-of-2 textures.

Also you should update to the latest development version as you seem to use old textures on your map. A lot of those have already been upgraded in latest master.

power-of-2 textures have x,y resolutions of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, ... pixel. Ofc. our engine can deal with other resolutions as well, but those get upscaled to the next power-of-2 res first and cause unnecessary scaling artifacts then...

Other than that: Nice work 4 a first try. :)

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 02:36:30 pm »
I use the 1.6.0, what do you mean with "old textures"? Where can I find the new one?

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 02:42:55 pm »
Which system are you using: win/linux ?

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 03:05:27 pm »
Win

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:10 pm »
http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ufoai-latest-win32.exe

^^ this version will have all the new textures included in 0textures.pk3. Simply decompress it (it is a zip) to have all of them in the base/textures folder. Then change the ufoai base dir in uforadiant to use the folder of the new version (v2.4dev nightly build).

If you plan to be part of the team in the future, you should probably follow these instructions: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Getting_the_source

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 03:15:54 pm »
Thanks. Quite a big file, innit? However, I don't think I will ever need the source since I cannot tell a line of code from a wheelbarrow!

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 03:25:21 pm »
You obviously do not need the sourcecode to contribute map files.

But you should install the latest development version to have up-to-date textures available and you will also get the latest version of the game to play with by doing that as well.

To be able to easily follow ongoing development and to be able to update steadily I suggest you maybe start with that tool: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php/topic,3843.msg47029.html#msg47029

It is specially designed for non-coders.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:23:26 pm »
Hello! Forgive me for the long absence, a lot of RL problems. However, I am ready to finish working on my map, especially after seeing the new version. So, to get the new textures and the new functions for the UFORadiant I must download the http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ufoai-latest-win32.exe file, right? However, I think that the map looks fine enough this way. Can somebody help me testing the map ongame? I just cannot understand how to do that myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 05:30:39 pm »
Welcome back Latino210. Check our UFORadiant tutorial here for links to compiling the map and testing it in-game.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »
That tutorial reads like it was written by a starving Ethiopian boy that was just beaten half to death with an Amharic-English dictionary...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 05:58:52 pm »
No one can help you unless you tell us what part of the process is not working for you.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 06:25:29 pm »
Right, right, just joking. BTW, I downloaded the 2.5dev version, unpacked the textures (they ended up in a "base/textures" directory), ran the uforadiant and tried to load my map. May textures disappearead, I guess it's because I used the old textures and in the 2.5 dev version there are only the new textures. Am I right?

I am starting to apply the new textures now. Then I will compile the map with the ufo2map, then I will add rename my maps.ufo file and make a new one with the map definition and try to load it as a "skirmish". I will keep you posted.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:07 am »
You can attach the map, so we will be able to help you with textures and so on.