project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: PB Rocket ammo for Rocket Launcher?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
PB Rocket ammo for Rocket Launcher?
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:30:18 pm »
OK, I admit this has been suggested before - but I didn't see any response to it. It does seem a little unfair that you can have PB Grenades but not PB Rockets, and you wouldn't need any new graphics to speak of either.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: PB Rocket ammo for Rocket Launcher?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:09 pm »
It's probably a thing of the bloody thing turning out overpowered.
Of course at this point, it should probably kill anything behind a wall it his already but that's details.

But if you ask me, this game needs more thermobarics. Everything's better with thermobarics. Well, except absinth. That stuff is lovely just the way it is.

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:50 pm »
It's probably a thing of the bloody thing turning out overpowered.
Well, possibly, but you could always nerf the damage levels a bit.  At present it takes about three hits with a HE Rocket to kill most aliens - if that was dropped to two it would still be a big improvement.  There are also the natural limitations of the rocket launcher (only one shot per round, limited ammo, lots of TU to reload).

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »
It seems Antimatter rockets are planed instead, see here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php/topic,5013.msg40550.html#msg40550

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »
But wouldn't antimatter rockets be hilariously pointless?
The moment you run out of batteries for the warhead antimatter containment, you go boom.
And if you use the stuff itself as a power source, the blast will be weaker every second you delay using the things.
I simply can't see antimatter working with this stuff until Humans are able to make the stuff on their own with a device that can fit inside a slightly bigger Carl Gustav shell.
And at that point, I can imagine better uses for the stuff. Or am I just digging too deep?

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »
But wouldn't antimatter rockets be hilariously pointless?
The moment you run out of batteries for the warhead antimatter containment, you go boom.

It doesn't do to nitpick the technology too much.  For example the whole 'plasma blasts contained in plastic bags' thing. It's about as practical as pulling a balloon over the end of a shotgun to 'contain the pellets when fired'.