Concepts/Strength, Weight and Equipment
This is document describes the weight and encumbrance system for UFO:AI. The idea is that the weight of the soldiers equipment affects them in different ways depending on their strength.
- All items have assigned a weight value, this is given in kilograms.
- The maximum weight a soldier can carry, in kilograms, is equal to their strength.
Encumbrance is applied in three stages:
- Light weight: The soldier is carrying 20% or less of his/her maximum allowed load, soldier will receive maximum amount of TUs, this is the 'bonus' stage.
- Normal weight: The soldier carries between 20% and 50% of his/her maximum allowed load, soldier will receive an average amount of TUs, this is considered a standard load and is the 'normal' stage.
- Heavy weight: The soldier has a load of more than 50% of the maximum allowed, the soldier is encumbered and will receive reduced TUs, this is the 'penalty' stage.
The current formula to calculate the soldier's TU is as follows:
- 39 * ENCUMBRANCE_MODIFIER + SPEED * 20 / 100
Where ENCUMBRANCE_MODIFIER is 1 for 'bonus' stage, 0.7 for 'normal' stage and 0.4 for 'penalty' stage.