Translation:Inter stingray txt/en
This is a placeholder page, pending a proper writeup. Some factoids about this craft:
- We have a model for this craft. It was made by Pshawn. There is an image of it in our gallery.
- The main engines are situated aft of the center of gravity. The rear thrusters are needed in order to maintain a level attitude during VTOL operations.
- The engines can rotate 120 degrees downward and 90 degrees upward. Each thruster can rotate 360 degrees, independently of eachother.
- Most maneuvers are accomplished by vectored and differential thrust.
- Obviously the craft can do a conventional landing in case of engine failure. There should be emergency flaps and other conventional aerodynamic surfaces to accommodate this, as well as high-speed maneuvers at lower altitudes.
- The craft is capable of reaching and recovering from low earth orbit. Pilots must be schooled in orbital mechanics, which are much different and often very counterintuitive compared to conventional flight. We don't want to strand pilots at 300km altitude! :)
- Because the craft is antimatter powered, there is a lot of free space in the large wings that would otherwise be taken up by fuel tanks.
- I have no idea what the raised and depressed surfaces on the hull are supposed to accomplish, aside from making the craft look more alien-like.
- Similarly for the green glowy bits. Perhaps these are heat radiators? Heat radiators are essential for any spacecraft, no matter how advanced. You can't trump the laws of thermodynamics.
Aircraft Evaluation -- Stingray-class Interceptor
CLASSIFIED LEVEL BLACK
PHALANX Extraterrestrial Response Unit
Technical Document, Sigma Clearance -- Commander's Eyes Only
Filed: 19 March 2084
By: Cdr. Paul Navarre, R&D: Engineering Division, PHALANX, Atlantic Operations Command
See also Vehicles & UFOs