project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: List of bugs/glitches  (Read 3850 times)

harrym

List of bugs/glitches
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:30:23 am »
Hi

Here's a list of bugs/glitches I've found in svn trunk-version: Alien Invasion 2.1-dev2 i386 Dec  9 2006 Linux. They're in a sort of importance order.

-Plasma/tachyon weapons stay "not yet researchable" after everything else has been researched. Note also the text overlapping the # of scientist display.
screenshot

-The menu option Aircraft-Buy/sell aircraft hangs the game, so you can't purchase aircraft to new bases. Here's the backtrace:

Code: [Select]
Savefile version 5 detected
Global data loaded - size 6042932 bytes
Activate stage intro
Campaign 'slot2' loaded.
...aircraft inited
Changing to Singleplayer
ufo: src/client/cl_market.c:192: CL_BuyType: Assertion `tech' failed.

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
[Switching to Thread -1225726240 (LWP 9663)]
0xbfffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xbfffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xb7b52fc0 in raise () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#2  0xb7b54851 in abort () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#3  0xb7b4c53b in __assert_fail () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#4  0x080592b5 in CL_BuyType () at src/client/cl_market.c:192
#5  0x08099b18 in Cmd_ExecuteString (text=0xbf853ee4 "buy_type 4") at src/qcommon/cmd.c:876
#6  0x08098bdf in Cbuf_Execute () at src/qcommon/cmd.c:266
#7  0x08076070 in CL_SendCommand () at src/client/cl_main.c:1433
#8  0x080767eb in CL_Frame (msec=11) at src/client/cl_main.c:1649
#9  0x080a583f in Qcommon_Frame (msec=12) at src/qcommon/common.c:1631
#10 0x080c1ea6 in main (argc=7, argv=0xbf8544b4) at src/ports/linux/sys_linux.c:461

-Skill stats of the rookies: I wrote about this earlier. Doesn't really make sense that the newly hired soldiers are superior to the old and more experienced ones. On the screenshot there is a squad leader with skill stats avg. 50 and a rookie with skill stats avg. 88. Like this, it's more efficient to dump the vets and use only rookies ...
Squad leader
Rookie

-Map village07 has a spot that you could walk into on one turn and on the next one the character was stuck there. (I wasn't able to catch it as it happened, since I played fullscreen & with mousegrab)
screenshot

-Dunhill-mission (random?) map: the 2nd floor of the warehouse building is not walkable

-On the production menu the mouse cursor seems to go off-sync with the selected row (at least on 1280x1024 resolution). When you point to the lower part of the list, the highlight "lags" behind.

-The shotgun (secondary weapon) graphic is plain gray
screenshot

-Renaming base has a quite weird bug: the text-box doesn't allow you to type some letters in caps more then once. After this activates you can only type them upper case with caps lock on and pressing shift (which is really just what it should not be ...). To reproduce: try to rename base for example "Type Text". You can write "Type" but not the capital T at the "Text". Also after that some other keys stop working with shift.

And to not just be on the negative side, sound problems I've experienced earlier seem to be gone. The sound still occasionally stops on alien/civilian turns, but there is no more that constant static/crackling.

Keep up the good work.

Offline lfloden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Experienced the buy aircraft bug and another
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:11:55 pm »
On the one with the crashed UFO for some reason when I had the targeting for my weapon on when I tried to scroll the screen it locked up the game and didn't want to let me do anything. When it locked up the cursor was off the edge of the map. I have no tried to do it again yet.

As for the buy aircraft, I get the same cl.market.c message about it. Good thing is that when you create a new base it comes with a dropship.

harrym

List of bugs/glitches
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 08:29:54 pm »
On the one with the crashed UFO for some reason when I had the targeting for my weapon on when I tried to scroll the screen it locked up the game and didn't want to let me do anything. When it locked up the cursor was off the edge of the map. I have no tried to do it again yet.

I found out this too. Wajir-mission seems to hang every time when you try to do anything on your second turn (after the first end-turn).

Also, if you don't go to the Wajir mission, it will pop up again and again, instead of some other. Somehow the alien logic isn't quite right here - "weehee, we crashed here and nodoby came, let's do it again!" :)

Offline lfloden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
it was the second turn
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:35:04 pm »
Now that you mention it, it was the second round. I got through a few guys before it did it.

Hopefully this bugs get fixed soon.

ubequitz

List of bugs/glitches
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 02:42:51 pm »
lfloden & harrym, thanks for reporting the bug on the mine_crash mission (Wajir, Africa). We have finally managed to track down the cause. Mattn is working on a proper solution but trunk revision 5231 at least prevents the infinite loop/lockup that was happening, so it should be playable again.

harrym, I'll try and look into some of the other bugs you mentioned. Right now I'm concentrating on bugs which are affecting 2.0 branch as well as trunk. AFAIK, the only bugs on your list that affect 2.0 branch at the moment are the village07 map and the base rename bug (probably, I haven't tested the latter). I've been trying to fix the village map but it is proving strangely difficult for reasons I can't fathom :(

In trunk the research system is being overhauled, the skill stat system is due for a proper overhaul, new weapons are being integrated slowly etc... all this is introducing new bugs.

harrym

Yet an another one
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:10:56 pm »
Hi

And thanks for response - I was just about to think that my lists were lost in the ozone.

lfloden & harrym, thanks for reporting the bug on the mine_crash mission (Wajir, Africa). We have finally managed to track down the cause. Mattn is working on a proper solution but trunk revision 5231 at least prevents the infinite loop/lockup that was happening, so it should be playable again.

About testing: as the game is not loading old save-games, is there any way to try out single missions with the aliens?

In trunk the research system is being overhauled, the skill stat system is due for a proper overhaul, new weapons are being integrated slowly etc... all this is introducing new bugs.

Ok. Is there a place one could check out the bugs that are fixed to a date/svn version? It'd save time & effort of everyone.

And that another one bug: sometimes, if you drop a weapon and another soldier tries to pick it up, you just can't do it. The one who dropped it can pick it up, but no-one else. I will try to narrow it out more accurate, but I think you can recreate that quite easily.

About future plans: the alien start-up positions seem to be the same every time, am I correct? That get's a bit boring after you've taken the whole thing a fiew times. Any chance this could be changed?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Yet an another one
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 04:50:37 pm »
Quote from: "harrym"
About testing: as the game is not loading old save-games, is there any way to try out single missions with the aliens?

yes, it is. open the missions.ufo file with a texteditor - search for a specific map and type "mission [missionid_from_mission_ufo]" to game console after you have created a base

Ok. Is there a place one could check out the bugs that are fixed to a date/svn version? It'd save time & effort of everyone.

yes, our bug tracker: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157793&atid=805242

you might also want to have a look at the svn commit logs, here:
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/ufoai or here: http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/

And that another one bug: sometimes, if you drop a weapon and another soldier tries to pick it up, you just can't do it. The one who dropped it can pick it up, but no-one else. I will try to narrow it out more accurate, but I think you can recreate that quite easily.

hm. never encountered it - please open a new bug tracker item (see url above)

About future plans: the alien start-up positions seem to be the same every time, am I correct? That get's a bit boring after you've taken the whole thing a fiew times. Any chance this could be changed?

yes, we just should include more alien starting points in our maps - the the aliens can spawn "randomly"

Offline lfloden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
List of bugs/glitches
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 07:47:29 pm »
harrym wrote:

hm. never encountered it - please open a new bug tracker item (see url above)

I have, just after getting the heavy laser (love this weapon) I had one person who had it. She got killed pretty quickly by an alien going through a wall (can't remember the map). After killing the alien I had another guy go over to recover the heavy laser but it wasn't there. But I could stand over the dead alien and pick up its weapons.

ubequitz

List of bugs/glitches
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 04:24:38 am »
harrym,

I'm having trouble reproducing the base rename bug you encountered and also the production menu roll-over highlight glitch too (tested a variety of resolutions).  Not sure what is going on (maybe I'm doing it wrong)

harrym

List of bugs/glitches
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 01:23:46 pm »
I'm having trouble reproducing the base rename bug you encountered and also the production menu roll-over highlight glitch too (tested a variety of resolutions). Not sure what is going on (maybe I'm doing it wrong)

You have to have a long list to get that highlight bug. The bug is there at fullscreen 1280x1024.

The base rename ... well humm. I'm not a coder but maybe this is somehow platform-depent? (It sounds like a keyboard handling routine failure.) I'm running mandriva 2007. I can get you list of used libraries if you tell me what you're intrested in.