project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tachyon-Beam Roket: Variant  (Read 9615 times)

A M D G

Tachyon-Beam Roket: Variant
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:08:18 am »
This my variant of tachyon-beam roket. I hope that you like it. :)

(just in case - copy with replace to base/models/wepons/rpg)

http://ifolder.ru/607121

Attention, resolution of texture is 244 pixels/inch. Standard UFOAI resolution is 72 pixels/inch. I made with maximum rational resolution. You (developers) can use Photoshop and... ;)

Sory for my english again.  :oops:

inquisiteur2

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 06:26:31 pm »
We cannot access to your picture; as login/password is required.

A M D G

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:12:51 am »
Yes? Damn.  :oops:

Very very thanks.

Ok. Done. I replace.

Hoehrer

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 10:43:57 am »
Oh, I like the texture - very nice shading, but I believe the 'tachyon' rocket isn't planned for inclusion in the final game by Winterslice at all.
So far only HE Rockets and IC Rockets.

But i believe it can be easily modified (or even take as-is) for a 3rd rocket variant when it's finished .. Winter what do you think?

Until then i'll commit it to work with the "tachyon" rocket model - renaming this isn't really a problem. See trunk/base/models/weapons/rpg

Just FYI, there are quite some textures/models listed in the TODO list for UFO:AI 2.1 (and later on).

Werner

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:31:01 am »
yeah, e.g the boat and the van2 :-D

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 12:45:25 pm »
We can easily work in a new rocket variant -- mini-nukes, anyone? ;) -- it's just not going to involve tachyons. We're abandoning the whole concept of tachyons altogether and going with particle beam weapons instead. No change in particles or models or anything required, yet 100% supported by known science, unlike tachyons.

Just a note, though, that particle beam weapons don't lend themselves to use as explosives. I think mini-nukes are the way to go. Extremely dangerous, but much fun to use on the battlefield.

Regards,
Winter

Reenen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 02:31:00 pm »
Ermm... it won't perhaps destroy terrain?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 03:38:30 pm »
Quote from: "Reenen"
Ermm... it won't perhaps destroy terrain?

Normal rockets and grenades would leave a mark on the terrain. Do they?

Regards,
Winter

papabob

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:28:53 pm »
Quote from: "Winter"
No change in particles or models or anything required, yet 100% supported by known science, unlike tachyons.

I think this shouldn't be a major problem in introducing new technologies. Just think in actual electronic devices: the theory of atoms and electrons (Bohr, Einstein...)  first appeared at the early 1900's, but it remained as conceptual theory a couple of decades. Then, in almost 40 years, everything else was invented and developed (transistors, lasers, computers... we really use the same technology today, the only difference is that now it is cheaper).

Tachyons? No problem. Just say that the Japanesse research with neutrinos in the Superkamiokande allows the born of the theory of tachyons in, lets say, 2020 and the tensions of the second cold war pushed a lot of funds in military research (much like atomic and electronic research in second world war). Now, in 2080's, the theory has begun to offer physics results and, as military project, the first use is to make an experimental weapon accelerating and firing tachyons.

The model of the weapon doesn't have to be a problem. Anything we can see in the texture/model can be explained in the storyline.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 09:27:56 pm »
Quote from: "papabob"
I think this shouldn't be a major problem in introducing new technologies. Just think in actual electronic devices: the theory of atoms and electrons (Bohr, Einstein...)  first appeared at the early 1900's, but it remained as conceptual theory a couple of decades. Then, in almost 40 years, everything else was invented and developed (transistors, lasers, computers... we really use the same technology today, the only difference is that now it is cheaper).

The difference? None of those things were impossible to known science, like tachyons are right now. Handwaving explanations for things in a plausible, realistic setting is lazy writing. That's not how we do things here.

Tachyons? No problem. Just say that the Japanesse research with neutrinos in the Superkamiokande allows the born of the theory of tachyons in, lets say, 2020 and the tensions of the second cold war pushed a lot of funds in military research (much like atomic and electronic research in second world war).

It's a neutrino observatory. It's got nothing to do with tachyon research.

The model of the weapon doesn't have to be a problem. Anything we can see in the texture/model can be explained in the storyline.

That line of thinking is much too easy. We're trying to write a realistic game, and that means things that are impossible to known science are not an option. I'm not going into the details again -- I've had this argument before.

Regards,
Winter

Grifter

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:14:06 pm »
the first use is to make an experimental weapon accelerating and firing tachyons.

The whole point of tachyons is that they already tavel at faster than light speed, which removes the need to accelerate them (:

papabob

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 10:52:40 pm »

The difference? None of those things were impossible to known science, like tachyons are right now.

much like lasers, solid state electronics, crystallography or to send a self-driven robot to mars 80 years ago... And we are no talking about some exotic fluid created by a sci-fi writer; physics have theorized with tachyons and its properties since the 1960's (wikipedia dixit)

It's a neutrino observatory. It's got nothing to do with tachyon research.

And X-rays were suddenly discovered when a photographic negative forgotten in a desk became blank without being exposed to light. And has nothing to do with Maxwell's equations.

The neutrino story is just a background to the tachyons technology. It can be neutrinos, it can be string theory, it can be quantum unification or it can be the Voyager 6 sending strange data as it leaves the solar system. You can't predict how the science will be in 2084 and much less how it has evolved. At least in a realistic manner.

And 'tachyon technology' is just a name. I only say that dropping a 'cool technology' a century ahead just because now it's completely impossible its a non-sense. On the other hand, we already had laser, plasma, particles and even sonic technology in previous x-com games. We should 'invent' something new.

That line of thinking is much too easy. We're trying to write a realistic game, and that means things that are impossible to known science are not an option. I'm not going into the details again -- I've had this argument before.

I respect if you don't want to discuss this, but... a 'realistic' game involving a multi-race alien invasion from some star at 600 years-light?  :wink:

papabob

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:54:19 pm »
Quote from: "Grifter"
the first use is to make an experimental weapon accelerating and firing tachyons.

The whole point of tachyons is that they already tavel at faster than light speed, which removes the need to accelerate them (:

lol! thats a good point  :oops:  :D

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 12:10:45 am »
I respect if you don't want to discuss this, but... a 'realistic' game involving a multi-race alien invasion from some star at 600 years-light?  :wink:

*sigh* I'm done here.

Regards,
Winter

A M D G

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:41:41 pm »
E... Thanks.  :D

Can you tell me conclusion of hm... this discuss? I understand not all...

By the way, model of any roket (tachyon and plain) is final?

Hoehrer: I thought delete green lines and radioactive sign and named it explosive rocket, but decide to wait...  :roll:

Hm. Else. Can you to do speed of rpg-shot more fast? Now it is no much real.