project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: gtksourceview2 is unmaintained, port to gtksourceview3?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
gtksourceview2 is unmaintained, port to gtksourceview3?
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:48:26 pm »
Hi,

I just wanted to forward a bug report to you. Apparently gtksourceview2 is obsolete and unmaintained upstream and gtksourceview3 is now the next best thing.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=885685

AFAICT SourceView.cpp is the only file that makes use of this library. Not sure how much work is required to port radiant to gtksourceview3 but I wanted to let you know anyway.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: gtksourceview2 is unmaintained, port to gtksourceview3?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:44:25 pm »
I just wanted to forward a bug report to you. Apparently gtksourceview2 is obsolete and unmaintained upstream and gtksourceview3 is now the next best thing.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=885685
AFAICT SourceView.cpp is the only file that makes use of this library. Not sure how much work is required to port radiant to gtksourceview3 but I wanted to let you know anyway.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if all GTK2 libraries will be gone or only the sourceview one is the problem? Also how much time we have to resolve the dependency issue?

I believe to use gtksourceview3 we need to port the whole mapeditor to gtk3 which is quite a big task - especially for me, I never worked with GTK before.

We have a few options: (from best to worst)
  • Port UFORadiant to GTK3
  • Switch to GTK-SourceView3 but stay on GTK2 (90% sure it is not possible, helps only if GTK2 will be still supported)
  • Remove the TextEditor feature from UFORadiant (helps only if GTK2 will be still supported)
  • Remove UFORadiant debian package (the game runs fine without it), upgrade to GTK3 later

So, worst case Debian repo will lose the map editor (temporarily), but obviously not ideal.

-geever

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:44:49 am »
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if all GTK2 libraries will be gone or only the sourceview one is the problem? Also how much time we have to resolve the dependency issue?

I believe to use gtksourceview3 we need to port the whole mapeditor to gtk3 which is quite a big task - especially for me, I never worked with GTK before.

We have a few options: (from best to worst)
  • Port UFORadiant to GTK3
  • Switch to GTK-SourceView3 but stay on GTK2 (90% sure it is not possible, helps only if GTK2 will be still supported)
  • Remove the TextEditor feature from UFORadiant (helps only if GTK2 will be still supported)
  • Remove UFORadiant debian package (the game runs fine without it), upgrade to GTK3 later

So, worst case Debian repo will lose the map editor (temporarily), but obviously not ideal.

- geever

Here is the complete list with all obsolete Gnome libraries:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/10/msg00300.html

At the moment only gtksourceview2 is a problem. I expect the next Debian development freeze at the end of the year so there is still some time left. We could also wait a little bit longer. At the moment the bug is not release-critical but it is very likely that this will change in the future.

I agree that porting to GTK3 would be ideal but I guess we could live with removing the Texteditor feature which seems to be the most reasonable and efficient solution for now. I would also take solution 2 if that's doable.  :) Removing UFORadiant is really a worst case scenario and I don't think it will be necessary.

P.S.: I know that you're short on contributors but if you want to get 2.6 into Debian I suggest to set autumn 2018 at the latest as a target otherwise it would be probably too late for Debian 10 aka Buster. It depends mostly on how quickly I can wrap my mind around the new build system and if there are any new (build-)dependencies although I believe we have everything related to C++ already  ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:48:30 am by apo »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:08:40 pm »
As I confirmed that GtkSourceView3 depends on Gtk3, I prepared the switch in small steps... but it failed:

Beside GtkSourceView UFORadiant depends on GtkGlExt for it's OpenGL rendering and gtkglext1 is not compatible with Gtk3.
I found a Gtkglext3 port on GitHub, but it is broken and abandoned - neither its automake scripts working..
Gtk 3.16+ supports GL rendering natively in a GlArea widget, so I tried to port our glwidget to it... GlArea widget however need OpenGL 3.2+ core profile at least.... so I failed for now.

What I'm gonna do is make gtksourceview2 an optional dependency, you you can compile UFORadiant with or without it. For Gtk3 I'm going to open a branch and will be a mid-term goal.

Yes, I would like to get 2.6 ready for Buster. The build system didn't change I believe. We have an experimental CMake setup, but it is unfinished. You can use our regular (custom) ./configure + make system. I'm not aware of any new dependencies.

Btw would it be possible to upgrade libpng in Buster? As I see testing still has 6.2 which is quite old. (8.0 we are compatible with for sure, 9.0 maybe not..)

hth,
-geever

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
Hi,

was there any progress with porting Radiant to GTKSourceView3 or even GTKSourceView4? The moment of truth has arrived and our Gnome team wants to remove GTKSourceView2 which has seen its last release in 2010.

Alternatively I could probably delay the removal by taking over maintainership of GtkSourceView2 but then in two years it really has to go.

Btw would it be possible to upgrade libpng in Buster? As I see testing still has 6.2 which is quite old. (8.0 we are compatible with for sure, 9.0 maybe not..)

hth,
-geever

libpng in Debian is pretty much up-to-date (current upstream version is 1.6.35 and Debian has 1.6.34)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 10:59:25 pm »
was there any progress with porting Radiant to GTKSourceView3 or even GTKSourceView4? The moment of truth has arrived and our Gnome team wants to remove GTKSourceView2 which has seen its last release in 2010.

Hi! Porting to newer GTK stuck as it need a OpenGL upgrade as well. However I bundled the necessary GtkSourceview2 files into our code base, so you don't need a package for it. This change might yet only be in master - which is not quite ready for release unfortunately. So I need to backport the change top the 2.5 branch.

Alternatively I could probably delay the removal by taking over maintainership of GtkSourceView2 but then in two years it really has to go.

Thank You! Let's hope I can steal some time from RL to do the necessary changes for a 2.5.1 build that contains gtksourceview so you don't have to take extra work on you.

libpng in Debian is pretty much up-to-date (current upstream version is 1.6.35 and Debian has 1.6.34)

Hmm, reading back my question - and based on the version numbers I mentioned -, I believe I meant to ask about libjpeg, sorry. :)

-geever

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 06:45:23 pm »
Hi,

I would be fine with an embedded version of GtkSourceView2. Normally this is not good packaging practice but in this case I think it is OK. I doubt there is a great risk of security vulnerabilities.

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 09:37:41 pm »
Hi,

ok, it seems the removal of gtksourceview2 has been postponed for another release cycle. So there is no need to change anything at the moment. However expect that in one or two years, the library is history and has to be replaced by something.  :-\