project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game crashing on base attack that has antimatte storage building  (Read 5295 times)

Offline SirOliver

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game crashing on base attack that has antimatte storage building
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »
Game version: official 2.5 release for linux, no modifications
Running on Ubuntu Linux 17.10

Description of a problem:

When aliens attack player base, and that base has Antimatter storage building game crashes on battlescape loading screen (exits the game without any notifications or errors). Everyithing goes well with selecting team, equiping, but when clicking "enter" game briefly shows loading screen and simply dissapears.

I have a savegame just prior to attack so i tried the following to diagnose the issue:

1. Transfered all personel (exept soldiers) to different base
2. Sold all equipment (exept the soldiers equipment), to have empty storage
3. Destroying antimatter storage building before attack

It has the common denominator , once you destroy the antimmater storage building mission starts normaly and everything works well without any issues.

I have attached .log that comes when using crashing the mission due the antimatter building presence in base.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashing on base attack that has antimatte storage building
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:52:58 pm »
Since the game crashed hard the log is cut short, so no error message, could you upload the savegame?

Offline SirOliver

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:15:31 pm »
I wish i saw this reply earlier, i just removed antimatter storage from base, played the mission, and saved after it over the spot. Sorry.

EDIT: I belive there is going to be more of it, so when next base attack happens i can upload it then.

EDIT2: not sure if it is relevant, but attacking ship is of "Harvester" type, nevertheless it happens on every base that has mentioned building, and problem goes away once you remove it from base.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:21:57 pm by SirOliver »

Offline SirOliver

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:37:29 pm »
OK i got savegame for you, UFO#40 - Harvester, heading towards base in africa, if you compress time (1h compression) will get there in 2 seconds, base has 2 antimatter storage buildings, has 12 soldiers equiped, has 2 stiletos, 40 workers. mostly empty otherwise, used to dissasemble UFOs.
Same crash happen's, same conditions, once you remove antimatter storage from base (tanks are empty aswell) crash never happens. Just to make sure you read it carefully:

Linux, Ubuntu 17.10, official game release 2.5, no mods and/or patches.

would be nice to tell me if you managed to reproduce the problem, or it happens only in my setup.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:44:58 pm by SirOliver »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:23:26 am »
I could not reproduce the issue with {Git 2.6-dev, Git 2.5 branch HEAD, Git 2.5.0 tag} versions (on Debian 8). Still it is possible that the released version or Ubuntu 17.10 behaves a bit different. Maybe need to build a VM for that..

Did you install the game from the Ubuntu Software Center?

Since you are on Linux, generating a backtrace (crash report) isn't too hard. Could you try that:https://ufoai.org/wiki/Debugging#Linux ? That info would help a lot.

hth,
-geever

Offline SirOliver

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 02:17:38 am »
yes i installed it from ubuntu software repository with apt (thanks for that btw), as for compiling dev2.6 with debuging i might do that after this weekend, i am kinda busy during next few days, will see where it goes from there.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:34:21 pm »
yes i installed it from ubuntu software repository with apt (thanks for that btw), as for compiling dev2.6 with debuging i might do that after this weekend, i am kinda busy during next few days, will see where it goes from there.

I meant try running the installed version via gdb and collect the backtrace, not necessarily compiling the wip version. I hope that the Ubuntu packagers added debug symbols to the binary. Our best chance to reproduce the problem is the same version as you used.

-geever

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:10:44 am »
Just FYI: Ubuntu uses the same packages as Debian in case of UFO:AI (and many, many other software) That's the cool thing, if you get something into Debian it automatically lands in all derivatives at some time.  :)

The game itself is built without debugging symbols but...there are dedicated -dbgsym packages which contain all those information. Just install ufoai-dbgsym and you should be fine. All architecture-dependent packages have a -dbgsym package nowadays.