project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need help with importing/exporting md2!  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Andermaiden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Need help with importing/exporting md2!
« on: July 09, 2017, 01:05:13 am »
Hello everyone!
So far I've been unable to export properly any md2 model. I've used 3DSMax and while the scripts for max in the repository didn't work (it throwed "-- Syntax error: at <, expected <factor> -- In line: <!") I downloaded other md2 importer/exporter scripts that worked, kind of... at least for importing it but when I exported the model it weighted 5 times more and the file didn't work (the textures show all messed up). I've also tried to use the scripts in the repository for blender, but was unable to install them, it doesn't seem to load them for some reason.
Does any body know of any working script for importing and exporting md2 files either for blender or for 3DSMax?

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with importing/exporting md2!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:26:15 pm »
for blender if i remember correctly you simply copy that script in folder where your scripts are.

Offline Andermaiden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:51 pm »
for blender if i remember correctly you simply copy that script in folder where your scripts are.
I saw a tutorial where besides copying the script to the scripts folder you had to actually install it hitting the "install from file" button in "User preferences/Add-ons" (and select said file) and in the video the new addon appeared in the list from where you could activate or deactivate it thus being able to access it. I did that but the problem is that no new addon appeared so I don't know if it's working or not but if it is, I don't know how to access it. Do you use Blender? Can you confirm by which name does the addon appear in the addons tab or if it does? If not, is there anyone using either blender or 3DSMax or any other program that has a working md2 exporting functionality?
Thanks for any hint you can give :)

Offline Andermaiden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:41:18 am »
Well, Ive found that blender 2.43 comes with import/export md2 scripts ingrained, and they work... kind of... they import and export md2 files, but the result, in the game keeps looking broken (see image). Now obviously a lot of you guys managed to export md2's succesfully so there must be some version of some program with which to export md2 files in a way that this game takes it.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:03:02 am »
maybe it changed in some newer versions of blender but you used to put that script where scripts are and than i think load the script. or something like that.

Offline Andermaiden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:10 pm »
maybe it changed in some newer versions of blender but you used to put that script where scripts are and than i think load the script. or something like that.
Yes, Ive found that most of the scripts that are out there (that export/imports md2) don't work in newer installs so one has to find out which specific version of the program was the script built for. But then again, I downloaded the specific version of blender (2.43) that came with those scripts officially and they were able to load and I could import and export md2 files but the problem was that, like with 3DSMax, the resulting md2 doesn't show correctly the texture. There must be some something I'm missing...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:38:52 pm »
The red/black problem is usually caused by incompatible texture naming/placement. See Wiki:Modelling/Skins.

I hope it helps.
-geever

Offline Andermaiden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:19:39 am »
The red/black problem is usually caused by incompatible texture naming/placement. See Wiki:Modelling/Skins.

I hope it helps.
-geever
That solved the problem! Thanks :)