project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game crashes on capture missions  (Read 4005 times)

Offline DontShootMe!

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game crashes on capture missions
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:38:21 am »
Every so often, version 2.5 will crash on entering a mission but it seems to happen most often when I'm going in on a capture mission and the team is armed with stun weapons.

I'll restart the game two or three times with the same mission--thank you, quicksave!--and entering will nearly always crash the game, but sometimes it will play properly.  I can auto mission the scenario without problem, but that means I can't capture any aliens.

Is there a log file saved when the game crashes and where is it so I can attach it?  This is driving me nuts.  Thank you in advance.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes on capture missions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:17 pm »
Check your ufoconsole.log FAQ#General. I guess you miss a map. You can download them from 2.5 MapRepo. Note that you'll need to uncompress it and copy to the appropriate directory.

-geever

Offline DontShootMe!

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:54:14 am »
Check your ufoconsole.log FAQ#General. I guess you miss a map. You can download them from 2.5 MapRepo. Note that you'll need to uncompress it and copy to the appropriate directory.

-geever

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll go give this a shot.

Offline DontShootMe!

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:01 am »
Well, that didn't work too well, but I did find a workaround.  An answer to an earlier post directed me to the folder "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\UFOAI\2.5\base" for adding scripts and modifying video displays.

After a few rusty gears in my head started turning, I had an idea.  I extracted the maps folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\UFOAI-2.5\base\0maps  into C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\UFOAI\2.5\base and voila.  Happy program.

For whatever weird reason, it seems like Windows 10 likes working with the AppData folder more than the Program Files folders, so this worked for me.  Everyone else's mileage may vary, but here's another option.

Offline TBeholder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:33:43 pm »
Well, that didn't work too well, but I did find a workaround.  An answer to an earlier post directed me to the folder "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\UFOAI\2.5\base" for adding scripts and modifying video displays.

After a few rusty gears in my head started turning, I had an idea.  I extracted the maps folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\UFOAI-2.5\base\0maps  into C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\UFOAI\2.5\base and voila.  Happy program.

For whatever weird reason, it seems like Windows 10 likes working with the AppData folder more than the Program Files folders, so this worked for me.  Everyone else's mileage may vary, but here's another option.
Maybe a symlink could help. Unless 10 does something weird to those, too.