project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Fake fullscreen resolution on dual-monitor setup.  (Read 4582 times)

Offline DontShootMe!

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Fake fullscreen resolution on dual-monitor setup.
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:57 am »
When playing the game on Windows 10, game version 2.5, the game sets up something called "fake fullscreen" on my primary monitor which occupies maybe 30% of the screen.  I have two monitors attached but I only need one for the game.  No matter how I change the resolution, the game continues to use just that small section of the screen. 

If I click the check box saying to stretch the screen with a 4:3 ratio, but that results in the top portion of the display being cut off.

How can I get the game to recognize only the first monitor and not use fake fullscreen?  If you tell me I need to modify a file somewhere, please tell me where that file is located.  I don't know my way around the game and its directories.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:26:05 am by DontShootMe! »

Offline Norby

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Fake fullscreen resolution on dual-monitor setup.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:36:29 pm »
The config.cfg file in 2.5/base folder contain the next lines:
Code: [Select]
set vid_width "1920" a
set vid_height "1080" a
set vid_fullscreen "1" a
set vid_stretch "0" a
When I changed these to the unortodox resolution of my monitor (2048x1152) then the game recognized it well.
How about if you set your full desktop size, or maybe other values?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:55:15 pm »
SDL2 (or at least the version we are using) seems to have all sorts of problems handling full screen mode... see bug #5309 SDL2 recommends the "fake full screen" method.

You can try to switch to "true full screen" with Ctrl+Enter and see if that works for you (first go into windowed mode, then press Ctrl+Enter to go to "true full screen") — you might need to enable mouse grabbing (Ctrl+G)

Offline DontShootMe!

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 02:23:40 am »
SDL2 (or at least the version we are using) seems to have all sorts of problems handling full screen mode... see bug #5309 SDL2 recommends the "fake full screen" method.

You can try to switch to "true full screen" with Ctrl+Enter and see if that works for you (first go into windowed mode, then press Ctrl+Enter to go to "true full screen") — you might need to enable mouse grabbing (Ctrl+G)

The config.cfg file in 2.5/base folder contain the next lines:
Code: [Select]

set vid_width "1920" a
set vid_height "1080" a
set vid_fullscreen "1" a
set vid_stretch "0" a

When I changed these to the unortodox resolution of my monitor (2048x1152) then the game recognized it well.
How about if you set your full desktop size, or maybe other values?

Thank you both for that, and my apologies for the late replies.  (Real life interferes with gaming far too often.)  I'll post the solution that works for me in case anyone else has a problem with it.  Thanks again!

Offline DontShootMe!

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:07 am »
It took me a second, but I found the config file to be modified.  It was at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\UFOAI\2.5\base in case anyone else needs to modify it.  I also had to extract default.cfg from C:\Program Files (x86)\UFOAI-2.5\base\0base.pk3\0base\ and place it in the same directory, as well, otherwise the screen would hang.

So far, I've been able to get to the screen where the game asks me to confirm my name and language but it won't recognize the mouse clicking on any buttons.  However, this is measurable and significant progress, and I'm okay with that!

In case anyone comes along after me, feel free to make use of my headaches and the most excellent help from Dark Rain and Norby.  (I'm currently raising a glass to you, Norby.  Thank you!)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:12:21 am by DontShootMe! »